Riverside PD Officially on PSEC now

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
CQPSK

Riverside PD Officially on PSEC now

Post by CQPSK »

Today at 0700 hrs., Riverside PD officially switched over to the PSEC system. The old UHF system will continue to be monitored but will no longer be used for day to day operations.
retiredFD07

Re: Riverside PD Officially on PSEC now

Post by retiredFD07 »

Yep. RPD announcement heard around 08:00 this morning: "If your unit radio has not been upgraded, you need to use the new HT". Haven't heard RPD since then.

<>< Mike
Monitoring from western Riverside County
tk353

Post by tk353 »

UCR police will be switching on Monday. They are caring HT's to listen to RPD.
bigered

Post by bigered »

I wonder what the talk ID's are in the 700 or 400s
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

After the switch over yesterday morning, the RPD 460MHz frequencies were dead. Last night I did, however, catch a brief conversation on their old F4 (460.475R) about some display and audio problems on PSEC.

All day today I've been hearing normal traffic on the old F1 dispatch (460.175R) and F4 car-to-car (460.475R). I haven't had a lot of opportunity to monitor closely, but I've heard nothing on the input frequency of 465.175. So my question is, are they back on 460MHz until they can work out the PSEC problems, or are they simulcasting the PSEC transmissions on the 460MHz frequencies until all of the old radios are replaced?

<>< Mike
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

They are patched and the traffic you are hearing is 99% coming from the PSEC talkgroups patched at the console to the legacy system, hence why you are not hearing traffic on the UHF inputs. The patching is a temporary measure to allow certain units or radios access until the mobiles all get installed. I have not heard of any real "problems" during the transition, which from what I understand is ahead of schedule and going very well.
bestofn10uns

Post by bestofn10uns »

Please bare with me, as I have been listening to scanners since my dad owned his towing company over forty years ago, but I do not understand the newer technology ... not exactly anyway.

So RPD has changed their system? What will need to be done, if anything, in order to be able to continue listening? Over 800mz? A trunker? I sure hope there is something, not only for the memories it keeps alive, but also for the sense of security I feel from knowing what's going on in our community.
And thank you for any enlightenment you can give me on this issue.
Bestofn10uns
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

All the RPD talk-groups are running 256 bit AES encryption so you will not be able to listen anymore on a scanner. Yes, they are on an entirely new 700/800 Mhz system operated by the County and no longer using the UHF system for their patrol operations. There are scanners out there that will track Phase II TDMA P25 trunking, but it would probably not be a very good investment if you are looking to hear the "action" since most all the talk-groups are running encryption. There are a few select talk-groups operating in the clear on the system but they are not used very much.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

bestofn10uns:

The simple answer is No, you can't listen to RPD anymore.

The slightly more complicated answer is that any user that has employed encryption technology cannot be monitored. Although newer scanners will allow you to monitor the newer trunking technology, the newer frequencies being used, and digital technology, encryption is more of a single user technology. Only users on that system can monitor it, because the encryption code is constantly changing.

Most law enforcement agencies in Riverside County have or are switching to encryption. Riverside is the latest, Corona is scheduled to follow in the next month.

As for still being able to use an older analog scanner to listen to what's going on: CHP has spent the last ten years revamping their statewide radio system, and they're still working on that. I doubt they'll spend the money on encryption anytime soon.

None of the FD's or ambulance companies have shown any interest in encryption. Some will probably use digital technology at some point, but again, that can be monitored with a newer scanner.

<>< Mike
Monitoring from western Riverside Couty