Help setting up pro-97 scanner by radio shack

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
Victor1175

Help setting up pro-97 scanner by radio shack

Post by Victor1175 »

I'm new to scanners and setting them up I'm lost trying to enter frequencies into my scanner and only hearing what I want to monitor. I have a older pro-97 radio shack scanner 1000channel triple trunking can someone please help me. Thank you in advance for your help
sp1989

Re: Help setting up pro-97 scanner by radio shack

Post by sp1989 »

I'm guessing your scanner didn't come with a manual, so here it is:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13776 ... ro-97.html

I use Starrsoft software to program mine, it is hard to enter all the alpha numerics via the keypad. Also what are you trying to listen to? About all that's left in public safety that is not digital/encrypted is CHP and RivCo Fire.
retiredFD07

Re: Help setting up pro-97 scanner by radio shack

Post by retiredFD07 »

I haven't checked in for awhile, so I missed this.

The Pro-97 won't do digital, so most L/E is out. Other than that, it's a good general purpose scanner, I have a few of them and use them daily. You definitely want to use the Starsoft template program. You can make different templates for different areas or uses, and download whichever one you want to use at the time.

You didn't say where you are or what you want to listen to. I live in western Riverside County and listen to Riverside FD, Riverside County FD, Corona FD, Orange County FD, San Bernardino County FD, Cal Fire, CHP, LA County FD, L.A. FD, Long Beach FD, US Forest Service, railroad, aircraft, (civilian and military), security at local colleges and malls. There's really plenty to listen to, but the continuing trend is the shift to digital.

PM me if you have any questions about the Pro-97.

<>< Mike