Programming a Pro-94

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
scojes

Programming a Pro-94

Post by scojes »

This new found hobby has turned out to be a bit frustrating to say the least.....

I've finally figured out how to program this scanner to use the Southwest RSO trunk. However, do I need to program the Talk Group ID's as well?

When listening to the RSO in "Trunk" mode, how do I also monitor the Murrieta PD (which are not included within the Trunked RSO system?
Do I program the freqs within the same bank? When I select "Trunk" on the keypad, will I not be able to monitor the "Untrunked" freqs simultaneously?

I look forward to any input and help that anyone has to offer.

Scott

Re: Programming a Pro-94

Post by 318 »

Scojes,

Yes, you will also need to program the specific talkgroups you wish to monitor. I program all of the talkgroups I know about, then lock out the ones I dont want to hear. Assuming you programed the EDACS system correctly into your scanner but didnt program the talkgroups, when you scan (or search) the scanner will stop on this transmission and that transmission... you may as well have programmed the trunk frequencies as conventional. If you program the frequencies as 'trunked' (which I believe you did) and then go back and add the talkgroups (it's kinda like programming the scanner twice), the scanner will 'track' any specific talkgroup you keep it on. For example, if you have the RSO TEMC dispatch talkgroup programmed in your scanner and want to hear just that talk group and nothing else, you can do that by just pressing 'manual' and taking it out of scan mode. This way, the only thing you will hear while keeping the scanner on that talkgroup is things related to the Temecula area. Get it?

As for listening to the RSO trunk system AND Murrieta PD, well that depends on the scanner, but most-likely you can scan a trunked system and conventional at the same time. You add the conventional frequency to the same bank as the trunk system and make sure you dont enable trunking on that particular channel. (Make sure the channels not locked-out too...)

Having said that, I highly reccomed that you NOT monitor trunking systems and conventional frequencies at the same time on the same scanner. There are transmissions that you will miss on both systems. I would have two scanners, one for the RSO TRS (Trunked Radio System) and one for conventional frequencies such as Murrieta PD/FD and CalFire, Etc.

Hope this helps...

~Chad (318)
scojes

Re: Programming a Pro-94

Post by scojes »

Chad,

Thank you very much for the quick response/reply. What you say makes sense, however, as they say, the proof is in the pudding! So, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

The manual for this scanner assumes that I know quite a bit going into it, so I've had to blindly program and hope for the best....sigh. I've already rest this unit back to factory standards a few times now, so i can start with a clean slate.

Thanks for your help!

Scott