FDs on ERICA

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90

FDs on ERICA

Post by cvrules90 »

I know I may have asked this question earlier but when are the fire departments expected to join the ERICA P-25 system? I know all the police forces have thrown in their lot already but I also thought that the fire departments and municipal services will also join the TRS.
scnradio

Re: FDs on ERICA

Post by scnradio »

the last oem meeting i was at we were told it was not going to happen. The only fire unit the will be able to talk on the are the high up and the ones that work with the law officers.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

So then what was the whole point of the system? I thought the Palm Springs city council voted to purchase P-25 radios for its police and fire department. Does that mean that all the fire departments will continue using the VHF frequencies they've been using so far? If that's the case, that's good news. They probably would have been encrypted anyway.
markb

Post by markb »

The purchase of P25 radios may have had more to do with grant funds than anything. I don't know how PSP purchased their radios, but if they were in fact purchased with grant funds, they are required to buy P25 equipment, VHF included.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

The purchase of P25 radios may have had more to do with grant funds than anything. I don't know how PSP purchased their radios, but if they were in fact purchased with grant funds, they are required to buy P25 equipment, VHF included.
Well I still think it was a mistake to purchase a system that is initially meant for all emergency services to be used by just the police forces. They spend money for nothing literally because they won't have the FDs and DPW on the system, I guess they'll make some patches or links or something.
kb6jag

Post by kb6jag »

cvrules90 wrote:
Well I still think it was a mistake to purchase a system that is initially meant for all emergency services to be used by just the police forces. They spend money for nothing literally because they won't have the FDs and DPW on the system, I guess they'll make some patches or links or something.
Its possible that they will run dual radios in their fire equipment. An ERICA radio and a VHF radio. That's what Riverside City Fire & LA County Fire does on UHF. PDs & FDs do not interop often. FDs interop with other FDs outside their jurisdictions (BLM CDD, USFS, CALFIRE, etc) all the time so staying on VHF or keeping VHF operational and in their equipment tactically makes a lot of sense and could also be considered a safety issue.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Well trunked radios don't work well indoors so I do agree. Simplex is always safer. Are public works staying VHF as well?