Windows 8 and programming RS PR0-164

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
BobT

Windows 8 and programming RS PR0-164

Post by BobT »

Sorry if I put this in the wrong FORUM.

I just bought a new laptop..naturally the only thing available was Windows 8. I was able to load Win93, Win95 and Win97 on it. The problem is the software for the cable drivers is over 5 years old and the newest it supposedly supports is windows XP, but I did have all 3 running on a Vista machine.

Has anyone else been as foolish as I to buy a new computer?

Anyone have any recommendations (besides take the computer back)?

Bob in Running Springs
zz0468

Re: Windows 8 and programming RS PR0-164

Post by zz0468 »

I'd suggest you configure the laptop for a multi-boot configuration. Back in the day, Partition Magic would be the way to go, but that doesn't support Windows 8. There are things like AOMEI Partition Assistant that do support Windows 8. I've never used it, so I can't tell you directly how well it does. Research all the partitioning tools you can find, set up for multi-boot with Windows 8 and Windows XP, and any other OS that you want.

That's still no guarantee that the new laptop will work. If there are specialized drivers for the hardware that just don't work for XP, you may be out of luck. But most of the time, Microsoft generic drivers for USB and video etc. work just fine. The only thing I've had problems with are special keyboard functions related to video and audio controls. For compatibility reasons like this, I have refused to go to Windows 7 or 8. "New old stock" XP machines are readily available on eBay for much less than Windows * machines are.
BobT

Re: Windows 8 and programming RS PR0-164

Post by BobT »

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll go web shopping