RCPD 6

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
sp1989

Re: RCPD 6

Post by sp1989 »

According to So. CA Frequency Directory, Ch 5 - 453.750 PL 131.8 Special Events; Ch 6 460.1125 PL 131.8 Explorer primary freq; Ch 7 460.250 PL 131.8 Detectives; Ch 8 CLEMARS 460.025 PL 131.8; Ch 9 453.925 PL 123.0 Interagency w/ Fire Dept; and no channel listed 460.050 PL 131.8 car to car.
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

GUYS IM LOOKING INTO IT. LOOKING AT CALL LETTERS KQR573 R.P.D. IVE SEEN THEM ONE IS 465.4625 TAKE ME A LITTLE BIT TO CHECK THEM OUT.
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

U GOT IT SP THATS IT. :D
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:According to So. CA Frequency Directory, Ch 5 - 453.750 PL 131.8 Special Events; Ch 6 460.1125 PL 131.8 Explorer primary freq; Ch 7 460.250 PL 131.8 Detectives; Ch 8 CLEMARS 460.025 PL 131.8; Ch 9 453.925 PL 123.0 Interagency w/ Fire Dept; and no channel listed 460.050 PL 131.8 car to car.
I think .025 is Channel 4 is Car to Car.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

No, Ch 4 is 460.475 as always. Some of the others have been shuffled around through the years I believe.
Mike_G_D

Post by Mike_G_D »

I don't live in or even close to Riverside and have no direct info to offer concerning this but would like to throw out some general info regarding channel plans and their respective agencies and users.

Frequency versus channel can vary a lot over time and even between separate divisions/departments within an agency. For example, agency A might be a PD and have a patrol division with multiple sub-divisons for covering different areas and a detective division (which may also have separate area sub-divisions. The patrol division(s) might have 6 channels in their radios with 4 of them being dispatch for four areas, one tac, and one mutual aid possibly also used as a tac. The Detectives, however, might have the same 6 channel radios (at least to start with) but have only one of the area dispatch channels (say the area they normally operate in) and use the remainder of the first four channels for special use within the detective division while keeping the last two channels the same...or not. Then, later, when newer model handhelds come out with more channel capacity and everybody gets switched over, it changes depending on who maybe got new extra frequencies or not, etc. and what the radio folks and latest operational procedures called for. Suddenly, a new sub-division for a new area gets established due to extra population growth. Now there are 5 dispatch channels. Detectives get the latest 10 channel units but, due to cost factors, only 3 of the primary subdivisions get the new stuff until the next budget run. So how do you make it all shuffle out best for all involved in terms of keeping it logical for most of the users - you have to use the "lowest common denominator" in many cases (those older 6 channel setups still in service) and shuffle special stuff as needed in a best compromise.

Point being, this kind of thing can change a lot even over the course of one year - especially the non-dispatch special use channels. Typically, they try not to shuffle the main dispatch channels much for obvious reasons and maybe the primary tactical and mutual aid but everything else can vary under many circumstances.

I tend to take the channel lists I see in hobbyist info as starting point only and go from there. I do like to know what the users actually have in their radios but I can only go by what I get from listening to the traffic and what the latest info online or in print is.

Generally, a license search can yield what the frequencies used are but not what channels they may be termed and what functions they serve.

Short of having an inside official document for programming the radios that is current, accurate, and up-to-date and covers all divisions and users and/or access to the radios themselves and a service monitor to put them on for checking, about the best you can do is note the most common usage you hear over the air and make best guesses for everything else.

Just FYI also, in the US UHF band below 470MHz the spread between the repeater inputs and outputs is 5MHz with the higher frequency being the input (the low power mobile/handheld output to the repeater). So when you see those 465MHz frequencies in most cases they are repeater inputs so you really only need the matching 460MHz stuff (for example, a 465.300MHz license would usually indicate the mobile repeater input to a repeater operating with an output on 460.300MHz). However, some, especially the "splinter" 12.5KHz offsets like xxx.6125 or xxx.3175 etc., could be low power simplex stuff with no repeater usage for either the 460MHz or 465MHz portions. Simplex can really be on just about anywhere but repeater outputs (the high level signal you usually want to listen to) are always on the lower of the 5MHz splits below 470MHz in the US (although remote broadcaster stuff in the 450MHz-451MHz/455MHz-456MHz area can and does operate opposite of this in some cases).

And as has already been mentioned, radio channels can have multiple positions with the same radio frequency but different CTCSS, DCS, or NAC so that they are effectively "different channels" to the user and/or setup for repeater or simplex use; this is done for convenience for the user and to make the most effective use of limited frequency availability (making one frequency be able to be used for more than one channel). So channel 1 might be set up on a radio for repeater usage on 460.300MHz receive and 465.300MHz transmit with a "PL" (CTCSS) of 103.5Hz while channel 2 might be the "talk around" simplex channel with transmit and receive on the repeater output of 460.300MHz with the same "PL" as channel one (so that they can easily call someone nearby on the dispatch channel and not tie up the repeater and so that they can still monitor the dispatches) and channel 6 might be a special use frequency with "PL" of 156.7Hz, say for "park tactical" or whatever, and channel 10 might be the exact same radio frequency but with a DCS of 115 for "special event" usage. Also, some radios can be setup to allow repeat or simplex mode on a single channel so that they don't actually have to switch channels to "go direct". It depends on how the department/agency/division/whatever operates and what kind of equipment they have access to and how they are programmed/set up.

Just things to be aware of.

-Mike