Where Can I Get My Radio Fixed?

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
retiredFD07

Where Can I Get My Radio Fixed?

Post by retiredFD07 »

I have mostly older Radio Shack scanners (PRO-97's and Pro-2042's). Some have been used extensively over the years and are in need of repair. R/S won't take them in for repair anymore. Does anyone know of a reliable repair facility ANYWHERE in the southern CA area? I'm retired and can drive anywhere if I can find a place to repair them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

<>< Mike
Monitoring From the Riverside area.
sp1989

Re: Where Can I Get My Radio Fixed?

Post by sp1989 »

Those are re-branded GRE scanners (at least the Pro 97) and GRE is not making scanner radios any longer. They say they will continue to service them, maybe give them a call and see where a service center is. If you go to a local electronics/radio place, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get a new radio. I have never had good luck getting any scanner repaired, luckily all but one were under warranty and I got a new replacement radio. Good luck....
http://www.greamerica.com/support/index ... &newsid=38
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:Those are re-branded GRE scanners (at least the Pro 97) and GRE is not making scanner radios any longer. They say they will continue to service them, maybe give them a call and see where a service center is. If you go to a local electronics/radio place, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get a new radio. I have never had good luck getting any scanner repaired, luckily all but one were under warranty and I got a new replacement radio. Good luck....
http://www.greamerica.com/support/index ... &newsid=38
I"m not surprised. A friend of mine has a PRO 163 that suddenly stopped working because everything got erased. He took it to his local RS and they said they couldn't help him because that scanner is old. For that, I had to come over and manually reprogram it myself for him because he doesn't have the coolest idea how to do it.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

The bulk of RS employees I have dealt with are minimum wage slackers with no clue about anything other than jail breaking an ipod.
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

Depending on the problem with the scanner, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a new scanner then to try and have one repaired. You can try contacting Ham Radio Outlet and see if they repair or know where you can get your scanner repaired. The closest one is in Anaheim. That's all I can think of for repairing your scanner.

http://www.hamradio.com/
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

their used to be one in orange call raccit jaw but they closed their is one in long beach ill get the phone number. big ed
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

I GOT IT GUYS THEY FIXED MY BEARCAT FEW YEARS AGO ITS CALLED PCI RADIOS 2888 GUNDRY AVE SIGNAL HILL CA. 90755 1-(562) 427-8177 GOOD LUCK. BIG ED
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

egilstrap62 wrote:I GOT IT GUYS THEY FIXED MY BEARCAT FEW YEARS AGO ITS CALLED PCI RADIOS 2888 GUNDRY AVE SIGNAL HILL CA. 90755 1-(562) 427-8177 GOOD LUCK. BIG ED
Good info and thanks for sharing.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Every time I see the headline of this topic, I think of Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention song "Call Any Vegetable" where Flo & Eddie are doing their thing...."Where can I go to get organic vaseline for my intercourse?" "At Bob and Ray's Swahili Restaurant..."
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

It's been a year since I posted this. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do anything with this info until recently. I also received some info from the SoCAl Milcom group I belong to. Here are the results of what I was able to find out:

BearCom (downtown Riverside) - only handles professional radios, no scanners.

ComSerCo (downtown Riverside) - Motorola radios only.

PCI Radios (Long Beach, CA) - They don't repair scanners.

GREAmerica.com - I called the number on their web site, it's a disconnected number.

REMTRONIX (Hayward, CA) - I spoke with a tech named Mike Herbert. Very friendly and helpful person. They still work on GRE/ Radio Shack scanners. He e-mailed me a service authorization form to send my radios to him (3 Pro-97's). They need to have the BNC connector replaced. He seemed very aware of this particular problem with the 97's. Gave me a discount to do all three radios at once. Said he would also look them over and give them a general tune-up. I'll get them sent off tomorrow. The form said to expect a three week turn around. When I mentioned how difficult it was to find a repair place for these radios he said "We still service them, tell your friends". So I'm telling you. You can find them at www.remtronix.com. When I get the radios back I'll post here whether I'm satisfied or not with the work.

Ham Radio Outlet - I didn't contact them, as I was pleased with my conversation with Mike at Remtronix. HRO would have been my next and last call.

<>< Mike