Where Can I Get My Radio Fixed?

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
sp1989

Re: Where Can I Get My Radio Fixed?

Post by sp1989 »

Thanks for the info Mike!
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Just curious, how did the BNC connector on your Pro 97s break? Did the antennas get bent to the extreme? I have several, so far no problems but should I expect the connectors to break eventually? Thanks!
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

sp1989 wrote:Just curious, how did the BNC connector on your Pro 97s break? Did the antennas get bent to the extreme? I have several, so far no problems but should I expect the connectors to break eventually? Thanks!
When the PRO-97 first came out there were reports of a poor internal wiring connection on the BNC. Supposedly the later models didn't have that problem, so I then purchased my 97's. I use these radios extensively, connecting and disconnecting the antenna as I move from my den to my computer room, to my bedroom, to my car. I use roof top antennas at all of these locations, I don't just leave the rubber ducky connected. The BNC's on my radios get a lot of use. Considering these radios are well over eight years old, I'm surprised the BNC's haven't failed earlier. I must have connected and disconnected antennas to these BNC's thousands of times over the years.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Follow up:
I sent my three PRO-97's out on July 24th and received them back on Aug 2nd. The in-shop turn around was four days.
They replaced all three BNC connectors, all three scratched display face plates, and a broken battery case cover. They also tuned them up to original specs. Total cost for all three radios was $141, plus tax, plus shipping.
I'm well satisfied with the cost, considering it would have cost me over $600 to replace these radios.
The turn-around time was great, and I'm pleased with the quality of work and the customer service.
I would recommend Remtronix for repair of GRE radios.

<>< Mike
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Thanks for your review and recommendation, Mike. The only scanner sales and repair place I knew of in Riverside went Tango Uniform many years ago. I guess the days of a store front business that sells nothing but scanners and accessories is a thing of the distant past. No dropping in to browse and buy the latest So Cal edition of Gene Hughes Police Call... :cry: