UPDATES ON RSO SYSTEM?

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
zz0468

Re: UPDATES ON RSO SYSTEM?

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:I too think this was a waste of money and won't be good to go for quite some time. In fact, this to me is just like a carbon copy of what happened in Vegas with the Metro Police AwfulSky system.
No, this is completely different. The circumstances driving the project is different, the system architecture is different, and the expected outcome is different. RSO is building a system that's supposed to be based on a relatively open P25 standard, not a proprietary format like Opensky. Just because it has issues now, doesn't mean they won't get resolved.
cvrules90 wrote:I fear RSO might end up dumping this system if this issues don't get fixed in the next two years but I am not one to make decissions, nor am I one to install the system, so I guess we'll see how everything comes into play.
Riverside County, Motorola, and the industry as a whole have far too much time and money invested in the P25 standards to walk away from this. The EDACS system is near end of life, and supporting it without factory resources will become increasingly difficult. It's got to go. The PSEC system WILL happen. It WILL cutover, and it WILL be what they use for the next 10 years or so.

The biggest single problem is that the county took on more than what they expected. It took far longer than they allowed for to acquire all the sites, and they're still not done with that. And the bleeding edge technology used in P25 phase II has not been ready for prime time in a system as large as this. Throw in RSO's far from realistic expectations on how things should be, and you end up with extended delays and a blown budget.

But they'll get there eventually.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

cvrules90 wrote:I too think this was a waste of money and won't be good to go for quite some time. In fact, this to me is just like a carbon copy of what happened in Vegas with the Metro Police AwfulSky system. I fear RSO might end up dumping this system if this issues don't get fixed in the next two years but I am not one to make decissions, nor am I one to install the system, so I guess we'll see how everything comes into play.
They have so much time and money invested in PSEC that I don't think they will just dump it even if that is the right thing to do, if for no other reason than to avoid looking foolish by wasting all that time and money. PSEC was being born about the same time the county was crying broke and was threatening to lay off deputies because they were so poor...allegedly.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I would think the PSEC was to last twenty years but I guess we'll see.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

The EDACS system has lasted 20 years, and many of the surrounding counties have 20 year old systems. But I think technology is evolving so fast that in another ten years, what's being offered won't even vaguely resemble what's being built now. Most manufacturers will only guarantee 7 years of support for a system after it's been discontinued, and that's if their feet are held to the contractual fire. Motorola has already gone through 2 or 3 firmware revisions to their 7.x P25 system since PSEC started building out, and some of those software revisions require hardware replacement. The routers might have only a 3 year service life before their manufacturer cuts off support.

Can you imagine trying to build out a system that's so large that by the time you build it out, there are pieces of it needing replacement? It's a bit like painting the Golden Gate Bridge... as soon as you get done, you go back to the other end of the bridge, and start painting again. I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine a system like that lasting 20 years.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

The EDACS system has taken a toll on the lives of deputies by rendering them incapable to transmit in the ever-growing area. Over the twenty years the EDACS radio has been around, it was built out and rebuilt. When it was complete, they had to go back and try to "cover" as many dead areas as possible via conventional repeaters. Unfortunately, the way things are now, all the "band-aid" options have been exhausted, and do I need to write that Harris, the current owner of EDACS, no longer manufactures the parts and pieces needed to maintain the system? EDACS will no longer be support starting 2017 so many agencies using EDACS, not just Riverside County, are scramming to replace their system with a newer kind.
C4FM

Post by C4FM »

The System will go live January, 2014
Last edited by C4FM on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C4FM

Post by C4FM »

There has been a lot of mis-information and speculation about the PSEC system on this forum. It is true there have been a number technical issues that have vexed the system at various stages of the system's buildout. However, the issues have been more releated to being on the bleeding edge of the new P25 phase II standard and working through all the inherent bugs associated with deploying a complex radio system that uses brand new technology (phase II TDMA). Many of the issues were unique to the Proprietary Motorola X2 format, which the PSEC syatem no longer uses. The system has adopted the Phase II 7.13 open standard and this has resolved many things.

One of the previous posters said it well when he said the County, Motorola, and the public safety radio industry as a whole have far too much invested in this not to resolve the issues. P25 phase II is a good format (although still being improved as bugs are discovered with new systems adopting it) and the public safety radio world is moving that direction as a whole. Motorola is not a small time player in the radio business and their name is at stake with any project this large which bears their name. While some folks may note frustrating aspects to the way Motorola does business, the bottom line is they are the leader in public safety radio. They make a high quality product and they have the massive resources and the experience needed to make it work. This is evident in the way the Motorola APX product line has been rehoned to address the issues which have come to light. Both the Motorola 7.XX P25 system core and the APX subscriber units are very solid platforms, they just require fine tuning. In PSEC's case, the fine tuning has taken longer than planned, but many factors were beyond the county's control. The good news is the system is now at a point where things are just about ready to go and a plan fo rthe cutover is in place.

As is typical with the deployment of any new trunked radio system, a few more bugs will probably be discovered when the system goes live, but as with all the prior ones, they will be resolved. The bottom line is PSEC is built on a good national standard, using high quality equipment backed by the big M and it will go live soon. I am confident it will serve the County and Sheriff's department well, and it will be a great improvement over the existing system, both in coverage and interoperability.
otterpop

Post by otterpop »

I have a friend that works in NORCO and they are installing an antenna on the sheriffs station and the deputies are going to training soon on how the new system is supposed to work. They are being told that the new system will go live at the first of the year
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

They should have done that 10-15 years ago.