EDACS Radio

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
sp1989

Re: EDACS Radio

Post by sp1989 »

I bet you dollars to donuts that a year from now, it STILL will not be FULLY operational.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

I wouldn't bet a dollar or a donut that the system will be fully operational in a year.

In the end, the complaints will center around audio quality, and latency. They'll eventually get used to it, do the cutover, and the old timers will lament about how good the old analog EDACS system sounded.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I think the old VHF high band system could have been upgraded for a lot less bucks with just as good results. And if they want encryption, they coulda still had that, too. That was the whole selling point (at least what I heard from upper echelon guys that were in on it) that EDACS couldn't be monitored by a nimrod with a scanner (like us). EDACS is better than it was, but still nothing to write mommy about.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:I wouldn't bet a dollar or a donut that the system will be fully operational in a year.

In the end, the complaints will center around audio quality, and latency. They'll eventually get used to it, do the cutover, and the old timers will lament about how good the old analog EDACS system sounded.
That reminds me of when Metro in Vegas was supposed to go to OpenSky. I remember reading a lot about it and even seeing a video showcasing the bad audio quality. I was surprised; it was all chopped and stuttery (like when a record is in flash mode and it's stunting). I just hoped RSO would never have such a case.