Palm Springs Fire

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90

Palm Springs Fire

Post by cvrules90 »

Anybody notice that on the Palm Springs fire dispatch channel, there appear to be no fire tones (like CDF RRU), but rather a warble when a call comes in?
highway97

Re: Palm Springs Fire

Post by highway97 »

i cant hear it from mo-val i need an outside ant. so i can hear it maybe. cant hear corona very well with indoor ant. big ed
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

highway97 wrote:i cant hear it from mo-val i need an outside ant. so i can hear it maybe. cant hear corona very well with indoor ant. big ed
Given your location, the furthest you might be able to receive is the Hemet-Cabazon area. Unfortunately, radios in the county are set up geographically and you really won't get to hear fire apparatus from the opposite side. Even if Palm Springs Fire came running to MoVal (not that they would), you wouldn't hear 154.19 because of where the repeater has been installed.
highway97

Post by highway97 »

ok cv that is what i was thinking to. big ed
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Riverside City Fire recently went to that tone, it is an attention getting device. It does not turn on anything like the 2 tone sounds. When I worked in Redlands years ago, the PD had alert tones like that, one for medical aid type calls and one for in progress crimes.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:Riverside City Fire recently went to that tone, it is an attention getting device. It does not turn on anything like the 2 tone sounds. When I worked in Redlands years ago, the PD had alert tones like that, one for medical aid type calls and one for in progress crimes.
PD handled medical calls? I didn't know that!
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I don't know what they do now, but back in the 80's when I worked at U of R, Redlands PD responded along with fire and EMS to certain medical aid calls, such as baby not breathing, drowning, etc. Not every single medical aid call, just some critical ones where they might have a better ETA. I think most agencies do that, I know RSO & Riverside PD do.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

There are some areas where police even provides emergency medical services. Much like how fire does.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

In the eastern part of the US, police do the paramedic thing instead of fire. Not sure why it's different a way out here in the west.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Didn't know that! I guess that's like asking why on the east side, radio stations start with W instead of K.