Old EDACS system off the air

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
brandon

Old EDACS system off the air

Post by brandon »

Looks like the old MA/COM EDACS system is off the air now. No more control channels heard or seen in the 866-868 range.
cvrules90

Re: Old EDACS system off the air

Post by cvrules90 »

brandon wrote:Looks like the old MA/COM EDACS system is off the air now. No more control channels heard or seen in the 866-868 range.
Already? God I was hoping at least until the start of July.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Probably a good thing at this point. Nothing more to be heard anyway, so I can now delete these freqs and use that bank of channels for something else.

<>< Mike
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Good idea. That is exactly what I did. Just hope they have a fallback in mind.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

The "fallback" is failsoft mode. They also have all the repeated RSO VHF mutual aid channels in their radios that can be utilized as a fallback system. If worse comes to worse, all the VHF and 800 Mhz mutual aid frequencies are in the radios as well, in addition to many conventional VHF and 800 systems run by allied agencies in the County.

The old EDACS system belongs to Sprint now. The frequencies and equipment was sold to them as part of the rebanding settlement between the County and Sprint / Nextel. Stand by for some major changes coming to 800 mhz as re-banding is implemented in this region in the next year or two.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

CQPSK wrote:The "fallback" is failsoft mode. They also have all the repeated RSO VHF mutual aid channels in their radios that can be utilized as a fallback system. If worse comes to worse, all the VHF and 800 Mhz mutual aid frequencies are in the radios as well, in addition to many conventional VHF and 800 systems run by allied agencies in the County.

The old EDACS system belongs to Sprint now. The frequencies and equipment was sold to them as part of the rebanding settlement between the County and Sprint / Nextel. Stand by for some major changes coming to 800 mhz as re-banding is implemented in this region in the next year or two.
I remember reading here once that they aren't using their conventional frequency set anymore.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

cvrules90 wrote:
CQPSK wrote:The "fallback" is failsoft mode. They also have all the repeated RSO VHF mutual aid channels in their radios that can be utilized as a fallback system. If worse comes to worse, all the VHF and 800 Mhz mutual aid frequencies are in the radios as well, in addition to many conventional VHF and 800 systems run by allied agencies in the County.

I remember reading here once that they aren't using their conventional frequency set anymore.

~Probably because the EDACS radios were 800 Mhz only. Now they have VHF in all the HT's and mobiles.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I'm getting a very strong control channel on 868.7625 in Hemet/San Jacinto area, don't think it is coming from Orange County, it's too strong. It is one of the EDACS Central system freqs, so I'm guessing that is still active, although I have not heard FICC for a month or so from my location.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I'm getting a very strong control channel on 868.7625 in Hemet/San Jacinto area, don't think it is coming from Orange County, it's too strong. It is one of the EDACS Central system freqs, so I'm guessing that is still active, although I have not heard FICC for a month or so from my location.
Maybe they're taking it down region by region.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:...Just hope they have a fallback in mind.
The fallback plan was EDACS. After a certain period of time that the new system is up and running, then the need for a fallback plan diminishes. Any future failures are dealt with, not rolled back to the old system being replaced. That only makes sense for the first couple of weeks after a cutover. Then, you've got to move on.

Given the level of planning and testing that took place on that system, if management decides to shut down EDACS and cancel any roll back contingency plans, it was probably a rational and sound decision. At least as rational and sound as it's reasonably possible to do.