Peeling the lid off the can of worms…again.

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
zz0468

Re: Peeling the lid off the can of worms…again.

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:...I remember on the EDACS network the dispatcher would also say a sentence followed by break... possibly to make sure unauthorized listeners would turn their radios off.
The break was to give the guy on the receiving end time to catch up with his note taking.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

Ya, I doubt that was done to give people the opportunity to tune out :D

The radio traffic interception rules are probably irrelevant to you if you're doing crime in the first place.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Maybe just having a hard time broadcasting a mouthful of information on the air. It is public safety radio after all.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:Maybe just having a hard time broadcasting a mouthful of information on the air. It is public safety radio after all.
No, seriously. It's so the person receiving the dispatch has time to write what's being said.

A possible second reason would be that dispatchers are extreme multi-taskers, and if their phone rings in the middle of a dispatch, they might say "break" on the radio, answer the phone and tell the caller to hold, go back to the radio call and complete the transmission, then back to the phone. All without skipping a beat.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Yup! Dispatchers are amazing all right!

So then do RSO dispatchers take calls and dispatch at the same time? I saw the comm center at the old Palm Desert Station and there were A TON of dipsatchers.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Breaking up long segments of info into small pieces with a space between is standard radio operating procedure. It not only gives the patrol officer time to write stuff down (in the old days) but more importantly does not tie up the air in case someone is trying to put out an 11-99 or similar emergency traffic.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:Breaking up long segments of info into small pieces with a space between is standard radio operating procedure. It not only gives the patrol officer time to write stuff down (in the old days) but more importantly does not tie up the air in case someone is trying to put out an 11-99 or similar emergency traffic.
After all, trunked radio systems don't allow more than one person to transmit on the same TGID at the same time so it makes sense. The break lets an officer hit the emergency button if need be (which I believe is a red button).
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

An emergency trigger activation will go out regardless if anyone is talking or not and once activated will allow the subscriber declaring an emergency to key over anyone who is talking. (At least in trunking...... and some conventional systems have a dedicated trigger frequency.)
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Well, I still have a lot to learn. Perhaps download some radio manuals.