PSEC scanner question

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
CQPSK

Re: PSEC scanner question

Post by CQPSK »

Encryption is strapped per talkgroup and the users have no way to select secure or clear. The equipment is capable of user selectable secure clear but that feature is not enable. Secure / clear can be selected for on the dispatcher's side via the console (which only selects whether console audio being sent is secure or clear..it won't effect user transmissions.). The problem with user selectable secure / clear is that users are unaware that they are clear when the¥ think they are secure, or unaware they are secure when they should be clear since any radio that has the proper key will pass cleartext audio regardless of whether it's in secure or clear mode.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

CQPSK wrote:Encryption is strapped per talkgroup and the users have no way to select secure or clear. The equipment is capable of user selectable secure clear but that feature is not enable. Secure / clear can be selected for on the dispatcher's side via the console (which only selects whether console audio being sent is secure or clear..it won't effect user transmissions.). The problem with user selectable secure / clear is that users are unaware that they are clear when the¥ think they are secure, or unaware they are secure when they should be clear since any radio that has the proper key will pass cleartext audio regardless of whether it's in secure or clear mode.
So it's one-sided. If dispatch makes themselves clear, then only they are clear and not the deputies.
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

interesting...... too bad dispatch wont switch it so at least we can just hear 1/2 the transmissions or calls that are going out! i noticed when i was in Santa Monica there dispatch was like that, I could only hear dispatch in the clear and the officers were enc, i wonder if someone accidentally pressed that button or if its intentional. but thanks for that information really helped me understand how it works!!
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

The problem however, is that "clear dispatch" is what the bad guys are listening for as they are burglarizing a building or robbing a bank. "Ut-oh, here they come...let's set an ambush and take them out or we can run".
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

CQPSK wrote:The problem however, is that "clear dispatch" is what the bad guys are listening for as they are burglarizing a building or robbing a bank. "Ut-oh, here they come...let's set an ambush and take them out or we can run".
o ya for sure, i know they are! it doesn't help with the steaming online i belive thats why a lot of agencies are going enc. but i completely understand why they go enc and i would rather they go enc to keep our officers safe, thats always my number one.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

CQPSK wrote:The problem however, is that "clear dispatch" is what the bad guys are listening for as they are burglarizing a building or robbing a bank. "Ut-oh, here they come...let's set an ambush and take them out or we can run".
The problem is, police cars come rolling with their lights and sirens on and the general public has no idea what was up until they sit by the TV set watching the evening news.