PSEC scanner question

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
sp1989

PSEC scanner question

Post by sp1989 »

I have a question. If RSO were to allow an un-encrypted TG for the public to listen to basic information, like OC's Red TG, what, if any, currently available scanner can scan the PSEC system? If I recall correctly, only one of the later GRE scanners could do it, which have been discontinued for now.
cvrules90

Re: PSEC scanner question

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I have a question. If RSO were to allow an un-encrypted TG for the public to listen to basic information, like OC's Red TG, what, if any, currently available scanner can scan the PSEC system? If I recall correctly, only one of the later GRE scanners could do it, which have been discontinued for now.
The only GRE scanner I know of is the PSR 800. Uniden now makes the BCD536HP which can also do it.
brandon

Post by brandon »

I am using a PSR 800. It's not the easiest radio to work with, but I can confirm it works on the PSEC non-encrypted. Here is how it sounds. Not sure how it compares to the Uniden, as I have not used their newer models.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

brandon wrote:I am using a PSR 800. It's not the easiest radio to work with, but I can confirm it works on the PSEC non-encrypted. Here is how it sounds. Not sure how it compares to the Uniden, as I have not used their newer models.
You must be listening to one of the "Call" or ICIS talkgroups on the system.
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

brandon wrote:I am using a PSR 800. It's not the easiest radio to work with, but I can confirm it works on the PSEC non-encrypted. Here is how it sounds. Not sure how it compares to the Uniden, as I have not used their newer models.
wow that is really clear and i have NEVER heard anything LE related on the PSEC system, what channel were you listening to and what tower was it on?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Dispatch calling Star 9-3 (the air unit), maybe it was repeated from an airband or other non-encrypted freq?
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

inlandpatch wrote:
wow that is really clear and i have NEVER heard anything LE related on the PSEC system, what channel were you listening to and what tower was it on?
I am also surprised to learn that you are hearing clear LE traffic. It could h ave been a patch or something that is clear.
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

Now i probably know this answer and is a stupid question but would it be ever possible for dispatch or a time when they will turn off the encryption? is it as simple as a button that they can press?
brandon

Post by brandon »

inlandpatch wrote: wow that is really clear and i have NEVER heard anything LE related on the PSEC system, what channel were you listening to and what tower was it on?
Hello. It was on ICS Law talkgroups. I would assume it came off the Central cell, but the talkgroup is likely heard countywide.
inlandpatch wrote: Now i probably know this answer and is a stupid question but would it be ever possible for dispatch or a time when they will turn off the encryption? is it as simple as a button that they can press?
As far as I can tell, all of the talkgroups are locked down to encrypted only. I have not seen it where the user can select like what some other agencies such as Border Patrol/FBI/DEA tend to do.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

inlandpatch wrote:Now i probably know this answer and is a stupid question but would it be ever possible for dispatch or a time when they will turn off the encryption? is it as simple as a button that they can press?
Some systems in the US have selectable encryption but I don't think PSEC fits that category.