problems recieving Riverside CHP

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
brandon

problems recieving Riverside CHP

Post by brandon »

Does anyone else have trouble copying Riverside and Rancho CHP freqs (39.680 and 39.880). The signal strength is rock solid but I am getting frequent distortion making it almost un-monitorable. I have no problem receiving other CHP offices from LA area. I thought perhaps it could be local RFI, but the spectrum looks clean when I view it on my SDR.
sp1989

Re: problems recieving Riverside CHP

Post by sp1989 »

10-2 here in Valle Vista at 1330 hrs PDT.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

brandon wrote:Does anyone else have trouble copying Riverside and Rancho CHP freqs (39.680 and 39.880). The signal strength is rock solid but I am getting frequent distortion making it almost un-monitorable. I have no problem receiving other CHP offices from LA area. I thought perhaps it could be local RFI, but the spectrum looks clean when I view it on my SDR.
Try to get an outside antenna and rotate it in that direction. Really nothing more I can suggest.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

Sounds like out of phase simulcast, or you're in a big overlap area.
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

brandon wrote:Does anyone else have trouble copying Riverside and Rancho CHP freqs (39.680 and 39.880). The signal strength is rock solid but I am getting frequent distortion making it almost un-monitorable. I have no problem receiving other CHP offices from LA area. I thought perhaps it could be local RFI, but the spectrum looks clean when I view it on my SDR.
Yes i have the same problem, great signal but a very hard time understanding what they are saying. I have my scanners hooked up to a MFJ-1868 Discone Antenna on top of the house.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

The signal seemed especially good (I don't monitor CHP on a regular basis, though), is it possible they have added a closer transmission site out here? When I lived in West L.A. I had a similar problem with L.A. city fire, their 33.70 mhz dispatch freq was all distorted to where I could barely make out what they were saying. Using the attenuator on my AOR receiver I was using at the time cleared it up, but then everything else was 10-1. New radios have the ability to attenuate single channels, try doing that & see what happens. I am by no means a techie kinda guy, just a scanner dweeb, so forgive me if that is too simplistic.
brandon

Post by brandon »

Here is how bad it sounds. Clear one second and crap the next.
http://cl.ly/YA6D/noise.mp3 (~20 sec marker gets real bad)

Here is a screenshot of the signal.

Just overheard a unit complaining about RX as well. I don't monitor them very often so perhaps its an ongoing issue. I know Border has had a lot of problems with the Tan.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:The signal seemed especially good (I don't monitor CHP on a regular basis, though), is it possible they have added a closer transmission site out here? When I lived in West L.A. I had a similar problem with L.A. city fire, their 33.70 mhz dispatch freq was all distorted to where I could barely make out what they were saying. Using the attenuator on my AOR receiver I was using at the time cleared it up, but then everything else was 10-1. New radios have the ability to attenuate single channels, try doing that & see what happens. I am by no means a techie kinda guy, just a scanner dweeb, so forgive me if that is too simplistic.
So LAFD used lo-band many moons ago?
brandon

Post by brandon »

cvrules90 wrote:So LAFD used lo-band many moons ago?
Please do not hijack this thread with off-topic.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I have noticed similar effects on my HF receiver as of late. Wonder if it is related to solar activity? I did not hear anything like that on the CHP freqs at my QTH.