problems recieving Riverside CHP

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90

Re: problems recieving Riverside CHP

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I have noticed similar effects on my HF receiver as of late. Wonder if it is related to solar activity? I did not hear anything like that on the CHP freqs at my QTH.
It could also be another source of intereference in teh radio spectrum. Some fire services and harbor I believe also use Lo-band. Avalon Fire, for example, broadcasts on channel 46.36.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

The interference on low band could be from almost anywhere, not just in CA. That is why I said solar activity my play a hand. I have heard some extreme DX skip coming in the last week or so. That is why you will never see a trunking system on low band VHF, as you have inquired about in the past.. For exmple, I heard a station in Uruguay talking to one in Dallas, TX, sounded like it was right in the neighborhood.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:The interference on low band could be from almost anywhere, not just in CA. That is why I said solar activity my play a hand. I have heard some extreme DX skip coming in the last week or so. That is why you will never see a trunking system on low band VHF, as you have inquired about in the past.. For exmple, I heard a station in Uruguay talking to one in Dallas, TX, sounded like it was right in the neighborhood.
Not to mention that there was that partial solar eclipse yesterday.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

Have you tried using CTCSS squelch to eliminate the problem? I run CTCSS on CHP Turquoise and notice what sounds like out of phase simulcast, but in the recording here most of the noise sounds like a co-channel user.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

CQPSK wrote:Have you tried using CTCSS squelch to eliminate the problem? I run CTCSS on CHP Turquoise and notice what sounds like out of phase simulcast, but in the recording here most of the noise sounds like a co-channel user.
Also try to change your squelch setting. Uniden considers squelch to be a gate, so turn the knob until just after the hissing stops.
otterpop

Post by otterpop »

I live up high in Riverside City and rarely have an issue listening to CHP- Riverside, however over the past three weeks, the audio sounds really bad. It almost sounds like there are transmitting on a frequency one step away. its odd that this only happens on my scanner at home. Normally the audio in my car doesn't have that same issue even when mobile.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

otterpop wrote:I live up high in Riverside City and rarely have an issue listening to CHP- Riverside, however over the past three weeks, the audio sounds really bad. It almost sounds like there are transmitting on a frequency one step away. its odd that this only happens on my scanner at home. Normally the audio in my car doesn't have that same issue even when mobile.
If you don't live high enough that might a possible cause. When you "rise above" the radio tower you can hear more clearly. That is why you don't seem to have a problem in the car.