RSO Simplex

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
cvrules90
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

RSO Simplex

Post by cvrules90 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Now that they're on the PSEC, are their simplex channels also encrypted?

sp1989
Posts: 1017
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by sp1989 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

There are none that I know of, and if there are, I would say yes. All those non-trunked freqs are gone, if that's what you mean.

cvrules90
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by cvrules90 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 am

sp1989 wrote:There are none that I know of, and if there are, I would say yes. All those non-trunked freqs are gone, if that's what you mean.
I know about the non-trunked being gone but I thought if they had any conventional channels like they have on the OC system for example.

zz0468
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by zz0468 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 pm

The I-Call and I-Tac channels are likely to remain unencrypted. I'm unaware of any conventional simplex frequencies other than those. There is a provision in the FCC rules that allow Law Enforcement agencies to use any Part 90 frequency for tactical/surveillance use without licensing or coordination on a non-interference basis, and any of that sort of use is likely to be undocumented and encrypted.

cvrules90
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by cvrules90 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 pm

zz0468 wrote:The I-Call and I-Tac channels are likely to remain unencrypted. I'm unaware of any conventional simplex frequencies other than those. There is a provision in the FCC rules that allow Law Enforcement agencies to use any Part 90 frequency for tactical/surveillance use without licensing or coordination on a non-interference basis, and any of that sort of use is likely to be undocumented and encrypted.
I did not know that.

sp1989
Posts: 1017
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by sp1989 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:23 pm

zz0468, do you know if the PSEC radios have the I-Call stuff in them? The early ones I gt to work with did not. The EDACS radios did, but I never saw or heard them being used except maybe an interagency disaster drill, but never on a daily basis.

cvrules90
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by cvrules90 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 pm

sp1989 wrote:zz0468, do you know if the PSEC radios have the I-Call stuff in them? The early ones I gt to work with did not. The EDACS radios did, but I never saw or heard them being used except maybe an interagency disaster drill, but never on a daily basis.
To my knowledge, PSEC radios don't have iCalls like the EDACS ones had. If you mean the conventional, nationwide, 800MHz ones then I believe that 98% of the radios have those in them.

zz0468
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by zz0468 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 pm

sp1989 wrote:zz0468, do you know if the PSEC radios have the I-Call stuff in them? The early ones I gt to work with did not.
I don't know what finally got loaded into the radios, but considering they are capable of 1000 channels, it wouldn't make sense to not include the ITAC channels.
sp1989 wrote:The EDACS radios did, but I never saw or heard them being used except maybe an interagency disaster drill, but never on a daily basis.
On a daily basis, the mutual aid channels wouldn't be needed. But there always seemed to be an unwritten rule that prohibited deputies from switching channels to something else, even when the situation warranted. One captain was once heard to say that he'd rather deputies have no communications at all, rather than have them off on a simplex channel that can't be monitored and controlled by dispatch. Really.

sp1989
Posts: 1017
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by sp1989 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:13 pm

That sounds about right. You can have a gun, but not a radio that works properly.

cvrules90
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 am

Re: RSO Simplex

Post by cvrules90 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:08 pm

What about the aircraft and marine channels? They had a Bravo Channel and a Marine Channel if I remember correctly.

Post Reply