Mobile Scanning In Riverside

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
joelbarnard

Mobile Scanning In Riverside

Post by joelbarnard »

Hello everyone, glad I stumbled over this forum!

I have a few newbie questions to ask, I have been using a Radio Shack Pro 95 for a few years and love catching whatever traffic I can get but and wanting to move to the next level and looking to purchase a Uniden BCD996P2, mount it in my car and install an appropriate antenna with hopes of monitoring Riverside PD, FD and maybe CHP. I fear I might be out of luck though after reading the post posted before mine back in 2014... Is this a waste of time, is all the traffic I want really want encrypted and therefore unavailable? What are your thoughts? And if any of this is possible, I was also hoping to find someone I could hire to do the antenna and mount work for a fee as my car might be a little tricky :-)

Thank you in advance!

-Joel
tk353

Re: Mobile Scanning In Riverside

Post by tk353 »

I use Com Serco which is a Motorola dealership in Riverside for installs. Also there is a company called West Coast light and siren. If you hear the nick name of Com Circus that's the same dealership as Com Serco.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

As for right now, all the agencies you mention are in the clear. For how much longer, who can say? Riverside County has been courting RPD to join PSEC, so far they have not. If they do, goodbye listening to RPD as PSEC is 100% encrypted.
joelbarnard

Post by joelbarnard »

tk353 wrote:I use Com Serco which is a Motorola dealership in Riverside for installs. Also there is a company called West Coast light and siren. If you hear the nick name of Com Circus that's the same dealership as Com Serco.
sp1989 wrote:As for right now, all the agencies you mention are in the clear. For how much longer, who can say? Riverside County has been courting RPD to join PSEC, so far they have not. If they do, goodbye listening to RPD as PSEC is 100% encrypted.
Thank you both for the info, very helpful, I am glad I found this place, I'll post back with my findings and install!
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Joel, as has been already stated, at some point in the future the funds will be available for any public agency to upgrade to digital or encrypted. As for now, the following agencies are still analog and should be for the foreseeable future:
Riverside PD, FD, and LG agencies
Corona PD, FD, and LG agencies
Riverside County FD
Cal Fire in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties
CHP in all areas, although they are slowly moving to 700mhz
AMR ambulance company, which so far serves all of Riverside County and most of the cities.
Most of the large security operations in the area, such as Galleria at Tyler, Kaiser Medical Center, and La Sierra University.

In other words, if you're just concerned about the immediate Riverside area, there's still a lot you can hear.

<>< Mike
tk353

Post by tk353 »

I would also suggest you sign up for yahoo's SoCalScan group. Every Sunday Glenn Mitchell sends out a FCC update and request for new frequencies.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Just a thought, maybe you don't need such an expensive scanner. Of all the agencies you want to listen to, the only one that has anything digital are the CHP 700 mhz extender frequencies. I have a Pro 96 digital scanner, the only thing I listen to with it is the trunked system at March ARB when I go there to airplane watch. Other than that, not much digital to hear except CalTrans workers picking up crap off the freeway.
marcotor

Post by marcotor »

retiredFD07 wrote: CHP in all areas, although they are slowly moving to 700mhz
The extenders are 700, but can you cite a source that they are "moving to 700MHz" ?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I doubt that CHP will abandon their low band network any time soon. The handheld radios are going to 700 mhz, not the main system. Here is a link to everything you want to know about CHP radios and associated equipment. http://www.wb6nvh.com/CHP2001.htm