R.S.O. Desert units designators

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
4and6

R.S.O. Desert units designators

Post by 4and6 »

Does anyone know what type of units are in the : 300's 400's and 500's. One has to be gang units...like in the 400's.
Thank you in-advance. :D
cvrules90

Re: R.S.O. Desert units designators

Post by cvrules90 »

I remember hearing 500s in La Quinta (The "LA" units). I'm not sure what exactly those were, they might just be ways of designating some units. What channels were you hearing them on?
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

cvrules90 wrote:I remember hearing 500s in La Quinta (The "LA" units). I'm not sure what exactly those were, they might just be ways of designating some units. What channels were you hearing them on?

I hear them on thermal ( la quinta)main primary for handling calls. Those high number units are very active. I am tempted to do a drive by to see what type of units are at the loc.. There are plenty of u.c. RSO plain cars driving around. I hear these units mostly during the day while at work. :mrgreen:
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

I might have answered my own question. I heard an LA (la quinta) unit number 416 say " Gang 416 clear with my subject". 8-)
PTR-Jason

Post by PTR-Jason »

I know this is old, but it may help someone else.

300s - are ALWAYS CSOs or SSOs, county wide, does not matter what area or station
400s - Usually gangs or special teams
500s - Usually Special teams like PoP or bike patrols.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

PTR-Jason wrote:I know this is old, but it may help someone else.

300s - are ALWAYS CSOs or SSOs, county wide, does not matter what area or station
Thanks for this information. I was wondering the same thing.

Also, cpl of years ago, I heard a car with the 5 prefix (before the unit that designates watch). It was on Thermal (then Indio) primary. I wonder if that was one of the cars that patrol the cove.
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

cvrules90 wrote:

Thanks for this information. I was wondering the same thing.

Also, cpl of years ago, I heard a car with the 5 prefix (before the unit that designates watch). It was on Thermal (then Indio) primary. I wonder if that was one of the cars that patrol the cove.

Negative. It's a overlap car or extra patrol. LA 43 is usually laquinta... Cove :o
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

Hi what's PoP ?
SSO ?

Thanks
PTR-Jason

Post by PTR-Jason »

SSO are Sheriffs Service Officers, same as Community Service Officers. Handle accidents, transports, office stuff, logistics at the stations etc... Only the pay is a dollar or so less, and they cover the county areas. Honestly...I have not seen any, if ever. I think they are mostly at main administration or county buildings and not actually on patrol.

PoP is Problem Oriented Policing. pretty much units that are assigned to extra patrols in areas showing a rise in activity but also do bike patrol and just extra units actually.

Also not sure if it have been said, I can not remember but 700 units are Volunteer units. Not explorers, where I was once we just said Explorer. But 700 units do traffic control and command post duties.

You may also hear Ranger units on some primary channels. Like Moreno Valley for example. The City Park Rangers use RSO radios and once in a while you will may hear them. They are not dispatched by RSO that I know of, and usually only one is on a night at least in Mo Val, so they do not have any one to talk to. But when they find something where they need a sworn unit, they will request it over the radio.

As far as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 watches. 4 and 5 I think are usually extra shifts or maybe overtime cars. Where they are assigned a beat that already has a regular shift car there but there can not be say two 3 Moreno 26 cars so one is 4 Moreno 26. It may possible be a hold over car. Don't quote me cuz I am not sure myself, I hear it so often I do not even notice it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

PTR-Jason wrote:SSO are Sheriffs Service Officers, same as Community Service Officers. Handle accidents, transports, office stuff, logistics at the stations etc... Only the pay is a dollar or so less, and they cover the county areas. Honestly...I have not seen any, if ever. I think they are mostly at main administration or county buildings and not actually on patrol.

PoP is Problem Oriented Policing. pretty much units that are assigned to extra patrols in areas showing a rise in activity but also do bike patrol and just extra units actually.

Also not sure if it have been said, I can not remember but 700 units are Volunteer units. Not explorers, where I was once we just said Explorer. But 700 units do traffic control and command post duties.

You may also hear Ranger units on some primary channels. Like Moreno Valley for example. The City Park Rangers use RSO radios and once in a while you will may hear them. They are not dispatched by RSO that I know of, and usually only one is on a night at least in Mo Val, so they do not have any one to talk to. But when they find something where they need a sworn unit, they will request it over the radio.

As far as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 watches. 4 and 5 I think are usually extra shifts or maybe overtime cars. Where they are assigned a beat that already has a regular shift car there but there can not be say two 3 Moreno 26 cars so one is 4 Moreno 26. It may possible be a hold over car. Don't quote me cuz I am not sure myself, I hear it so often I do not even notice it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
You were at the explorer program? What was it like?