West System Transmitter Site and Takgroups.

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
markclark

West System Transmitter Site and Takgroups.

Post by markclark »

I monitor the West System from S/E Long Beach, near the OC line. I've noticed the transmitter sites can change during broadcasts. The change in sites, and the resultant signal strength, is probably not noticeable in the west Riverside county area due to good signal saturation. Is there a primary site the West System uses or do the various sites key up randomly? What is the location of the West System sites?

I can receive through the West System all stations from Cabazon to the west. Does the Desert System ever come up on the West System?

Thanks for any info.
cvrules90

Re: West System Transmitter Site and Takgroups.

Post by cvrules90 »

This is how much I know. The West System has several transimter locations as the RSO system is an areawide radio system.

The only way to hear Desert patrol cars is to either A Hope that one of the patrol cars will cross into the west area or a simulcast/patch be created, or B take your scanner to the desert area and punch in the desert system's frequencies and desired talkgroup(s).

Hope I helped you a little.
markclark

Post by markclark »

Thanks for the info. I was hoping, off chance, the Desert System was connected to the West System. Both the Central and South Systems definitely are heard at all times on the West System. BTW, I only have the West System frequencies plugged in. I haven't had any luck receiving either the South or Central systems on their respective frequencies.
brandon

Post by brandon »

I have never monitored a desert talkgroup (other than Animal Control and DA) on the West system. A desert talkgroup will briefly key up if a unit hits their Emergency button, but never carries any voice traffic.

Several years ago I used to hear Palm Desert and Indio on South when it was patched. It would not happen all of the time... usually weekends and only when patched from a certain console. I don't know if this still happens or not.

Another way to monitor the desert (from western county) is to use Santa Rosa and hope a desert unit affiliates. When affiliated to Santa Rosa it will carry the desert traffic.

Here is a chart with the systems showing how it scans and affiliates the talkgroups. I assume it's still current. West can have talkgroups from Central and South.

Code: Select all

SYSTEM	TALKGROUPS
----------------------------------
MUTUAID1	CONVENTIONAL
WEST-12	WEST
WEST+CEN	WEST
WEST+SO	WEST
CENTRAL	CENTRAL
CEN+WEST	CENTRAL
CEN+SOU	CENTRAL
CEN+DES	CENTRAL
CEN+DESN	DESERT
CEN+SRP	CENTRAL
SOUTH	SOUTH
SO+WEST	SOUTH
SO+CEN	SOUTH
SO+SRP	SOUTH
CONV	CONVENTIONAL
CONV1	CONVENTIONAL
MUTUAID2	CONVENTIONAL
DESERT	DESERT
DES10	DESERT
DES+SRP	DESERT
DES+CEN	DESERT
DES+BLY	DESERT
BLYTHE	BLYTHE
BLY+DES	BLYTHE
BLY/DESN	BLYTHE
markclark

Post by markclark »

Thanks for the info. I haven't had any luck with Santa Rosa, likely due to distance. From my monitoring it is clear that all the western county systems are tied into the West System.
brandon

Post by brandon »

I can't get Santa Rosa here either. But when in the Murrieta/Temecula area it comes in pretty good.
markclark

Post by markclark »

No doubt Santa Rosa has a small footprint by design; insamuch as that site has the potential to cover a large area and cause interference with other parts of the system. I can receive El Centro CHP on Santa Rosa though; but that's low band for you.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

markclark wrote:No doubt Santa Rosa has a small footprint by design; insamuch as that site has the potential to cover a large area and cause interference with other parts of the system. I can receive El Centro CHP on Santa Rosa though; but that's low band for you.
When Santa Rosa was a 4 site standalone, it's coverage was intended to be pretty wide. I think it's now part of central, though, meaning it's simulcast. In that case, coverage is probably patterned and tightly controlled.
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

I was at lake helmet all day fri and sat. I heard no traffic but had 5 bars from santa rosa peak. Also there is a repeater right next to the lake ...anyone knows whose it is ... Looks like VHF antennas judging by the size....microwave links from Santa rosa....I think it might be an simulcast for DFG. . 8-)
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

4and6 wrote:...Also there is a repeater right next to the lake ...anyone knows whose it is ... Looks like VHF antennas judging by the size....microwave links from Santa rosa....I think it might be an simulcast for DFG. . 8-)
That site is part of Riverside's PSEC project. It could have VHF and 700-800 MHz antennas on it.