Riverside Co. SO monitoring

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
code03

Riverside Co. SO monitoring

Post by code03 »

Just moved into the area and getting conflicting info on the monitoring ability for Riverside Co. SO. Scrambled, unavailable??
If not, the various freqs I have obtained from Radio Reference, etc. are not working.

Thanks!
cvrules90

Re: Riverside Co. SO monitoring

Post by cvrules90 »

code03 wrote:Just moved into the area and getting conflicting info on the monitoring ability for Riverside Co. SO. Scrambled, unavailable??
If not, the various freqs I have obtained from Radio Reference, etc. are not working.

Thanks!
OK. At this time, Riverside SO talk on an EDACS Networked radio system. The frequencies for each site (West, Central, Desert, etc...) MUST be put in proper LCN order (the small 2-digit number before the frequency as you see on RR).

I don't know what type/brand of scanner you have, but I will say this. If it uses the bank/channel format, you MUST start the frequencies from position 01 rather than position 00, and each site MUST be programmed into a separate bank.

As for the scrambling, the EDACS system I told you about has gotten old, and they are working on a P-25 encrypted radio system. Those transmitions WILL NOT be receivable even if you own a brand-new digital scanner. All sources show that this system will be in full operation at the beginning of 2013.

I hope that was enough to answer your question(s).
code03

Post by code03 »

Appreciate the reply. Scanning with a Radio Shack Pro-106. Using ScanLite Plus software, so will have to look again at how to program specifically for Riverside unless you can provide a quick tutorial.

Regards,

Craig
Mike_G_D

Post by Mike_G_D »

I don't know your software - "ScanLite Plus" - do you mean "ScanCat lite"? You should know that ScanCat software ("Lite" or standard) is generally not considered dependable or worth much effort. I haven't used it but that is what I have seen reported quite frequently.

The three most common and best rated programs for the PSR500 series (including the Radio Shack Pro-106) are:

1) Starrsoft WIN500
2) PSREdit500
3) BuTel ARC500

All have 30 day trials. I use the first one, WIN500, available here: http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win500/default.asp.

You can down load that program and use it free for 30 days with full functionality. I will attach a file for monitoring Riverside County that you can use to get started with; you run Win500 and load my file then upload to the scanner. I don't use it frequently as I am in North San Diego County and I just "rush jobbed" some updates as it hadn't been updated since June; it should work ok no for the SO EDACS system as well as CHP and county fire but will likely have some old stuff no longer used (many eastern cities went to ERICA and are now encrypted) plus other errors, etc. It has a lot of stuff besides the SO but you can modify accordingly. If all you want is SO then disable all but scan list #2 ("County Law" as I have arranged it). Study the "General Settings" tab in WIN500 with my file loaded to see how I have arranged and labeled my scan lists. As mentioned, the EDACS system is rapidly nearing its end after which the SO will be on the new 700MHz TDMA P25 Phase 2 system which your scanner cannot monitor and, according to current reports, all law enforcement talk groups will be encrypted so even if you did have a capable scanner (currently only the GRE PSR800 can handle P25 Phase 2) you could not receive the encrypted talk groups.

But, for now, as long as it works, hope this helps you get started. Please note that this forum reply function does not allow .p500 file attachments so after you get the file named "500_RIVCOUNTY_WIDE.txt" you need to rename it by changing the ".txt" extension to a ".p500" extension before you can load WIN500 with the file and upload it to your scanner.

-Mike