Southwest Division

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
ddoug4uonly

Southwest Division

Post by ddoug4uonly »

I have been noticing lately that the SW RSO is transmitting alot on the Talkgroup Patch channels with little or no activity on the regular channels. Is this normal activity?
brandon

Re: Southwest Division

Post by brandon »

Talkgroup patching is used a lot by RSO (most common during the overnight hours), especially on 561/549 and 529/531.
Below is a snapshot taken last year showing 4 patches on the same system
ddoug4uonly

Post by ddoug4uonly »

I found that in order to hear the activity, The patch channels need to be programed into the scanner. Southwest is using 2047 a lot lately instead of the primary's. This evening at between 7:30pm and 8:30pm that is the talkgroup they were using.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

The absolute BEST WAY to listen to RSO is with a Uniden scanner.

I started scanning with a Radio Shack Pro-97. Worked great but had to program the Patch Talk-Groups and ended up hearing transmissions I didnt really want to hear. The Uniden automatically tunes into the patch group without it being programmed. I can "hold" onto Perris-3 talkgroup and dont have to worry about scanning through patches. It was like night/day for me. I HIGHLY recommend anyone to purchase a Uniden, especially since you can buy a new Uniden BC246T for the same price as the Radio Shack scanners (except digital of course)

PS - They also supports I-Calls!
convE36

Post by convE36 »

So tonight some idiot slashed my nieghbors tires.

They called the sheriff and Canyon Lake PD showed up pretty quick (since nothing ever happens here)

But the thing is, I did NOT hear them get dispatched, when they arrived and when they left. I know my scanner is programmed right. I heard the normal elsinore dispatch on ch1 and perris ch3. Canyon Lake is always dispatched on Perris-3. I have all talk-groups unlocked EXCEPT the cross county (ch5, ch6). Just to make sure, those cross county talk-groups are strictly for information right? (such as running plates, people or for warrants)

Any idea why I did not hear any of that particular traffic tonight? I constantly monitor this area and never have any problems.

Again, it was ONLY the Canyon Lake unit I did not hear....
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

convE36 wrote:Any idea why I did not hear any of that particular traffic tonight? I constantly monitor this area and never have any problems.
Sent to the MDT only without any voice traffic? It is not a high priority call so no need to use radio traffic.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

hey thanks for that info. i didnt even realize they can also be dispatched via MDT.

do you know if they will sometimes have units cover 2 beats? i am thinking Canyon Lake area is being covered by PC units. (only thing i can think of) I havnt heard ANY traffic from any "canyon" units, and my friend is the graveyard dispatcher for Allied Barton (Canyon Lakes Security) and he hasnt seen any cops or heard anything. Even though its a super boring night, i dont think i have ever heard NOTHING from this area.
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

I have no idea.
ddoug4uonly

Post by ddoug4uonly »

I heard traffic last night on the scanner for Canyon Lake, but I did hear them talking about being in route and asking for the gate to be opened. One Deputy even had her battery die while at the POA this morning. Heard her looking for jumper cables.. :D
convE36 wrote:
do you know if they will sometimes have units cover 2 beats?
I haven't heard any of the PC units cover Canyon Lake, but I guess it is possible. They do however go in to other beats. I have heard Lake Elsinore units backup or cover Perris units. I have also heard "Frank" units in different areas and lately been hearing units with the call sign "Southwest".

-- Doug
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Yeah after my post it was confirmed that no "Canyon" unit was on duty. Actually seemed kinda funny when some PC units were called to an accident around 4am this morning on Railroad Canyon Rd. in Canyon Lake...they were like, "So there is NO Canyon unit logged on??!!" I dont think they even knew.

(Dispatch confirmed no "Canyon" unit, and dispatched "PC" units from Menifee/Quail Valley areas...