SIB Encrypted?

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
zz0468

Re: SIB Encrypted?

Post by zz0468 »

Yes, it was an available option for EDACS systems. Motorola trunked systems, as well. It requires additional hardware at the control point, and that feature would need to be programmed into user radios. With the proliferation of cellphones, it's not needed nearly as much, so it's relatively rare to hear a phone call on a public safety system these days. But it still can come in handy. There are lots of places with no cell coverage, and even Riverside County's EDACS system could cover a lot of those places.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

brandon wrote:It has not been encrypted whenever I have listened to it. During the Soboba shootings several years ago the dispatcher referred to the channel as "Encrypted 13" --- However, units came up on it and everything was in the clear. Maybe in the past it was, but I've been listening since 2005 and never logged encrypted comms on the EDACS system.
Encryption 13 was a pipe dream that never came to pass. I don't know why, specifically, but the system was, and is, quite capable of it. It could be as simple as the keyloader being lost in someone's desk drawer... I just don't know.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I guess it's safe to say it's semi-encrypted.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

It's either encrypted or it's not. The only safe thing to say is that some deputies are probably wandering happily down the garden path thinking it's encrypted when it's really not encrypted at all. It's just a normal talk group with the word "encrypted" in the name.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:It's either encrypted or it's not. The only safe thing to say is that some deputies are probably wandering happily down the garden path thinking it's encrypted when it's really not encrypted at all. It's just a normal talk group with the word "encrypted" in the name.
That definitely sounds strange to me.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

The world of public safety radio is a strange place, indeed. There are a lot of things done that make no sense.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Maybe if I became a dispatcher, I'd get a better sense of how it all plays out.