New Radios System

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
Jlanfn

Re: New Radios System

Post by Jlanfn »

sp1989 wrote:Sir/Madam...your post was quite illuminating.
Why, thank you. And definitely "sir" rather than "madam." :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness, these are just personal observations of someone looking in from the outside. I'm sure someone directly involved in the process has a more informed opinion.
cvrules90 wrote:For people who don't understand, like myself, what is LMR?
LMR stands for "land mobile radio." I'm not completely sure of its technical definition, but it is commonly used to refer to the type of radio systems public safety has used up to today. That is, a radio system that is not an LTE (long term evolution) broadband system.

Here is a link to a white paper written by Andrew Seybold that provides more information about these terms and the proposed nationwide public safety LTE broadband system: http://andrewseybold.com/wp-content/upl ... PS-LMR.pdf

Remember, this proposed nationwide system is only in the infant planning stages at this point and no one knows for sure if and when it will come to fruition. If you're interested and have some spare time you might want to check out some of the other things Mr. Seybold has on his website related to public safety. I think he raises some interesting and important issues that few others seem to be raising.
cvrules90

Re: New Radios System

Post by cvrules90 »

I heard about it before, but I first thought the whole country would use the same radio system. Now I understand better.