New Radios System

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
4and6

Re: New Radios System

Post by 4and6 »

The desert system is still up... I see patch 15-545 all the time. I'm thinking after coachella fest / stagecoach it will change. The radio was very quiet up to the time of coachellafest. I hear radio techs testing today ... 02-153 . :o
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Any activity from any of the stations dispatch, car, and tac channels?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

West is still active like usual.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:West is still active like usual.
I guess it will still be awhile.
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

HI EVERYONE IS WAS TALKING TO DEPUTY CHIEF FOR CAL FIRE AN HE SAID NEW SYSTEM WILL NOT BE UP TILL END OF JUNE OR START OF JULY MAYBE LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THE SYSTEM WHAT A WASTE OF 1/4 OF A BILLON DOLLARS NO WONDER HE WAS EATING AT GUS BURGER. ED
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

egilstrap62 wrote:...WHAT A WASTE OF 1/4 OF A BILLON DOLLARS NO WONDER HE WAS EATING AT GUS BURGER. ED
Pssst... I'll let you in on a secret. He was eating there because the burgers are pretty good. Shhh. Not a word to anybody. *wink*
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

egilstrap62 wrote:HI EVERYONE IS WAS TALKING TO DEPUTY CHIEF FOR CAL FIRE AN HE SAID NEW SYSTEM WILL NOT BE UP TILL END OF JUNE OR START OF JULY MAYBE LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THE SYSTEM WHAT A WASTE OF 1/4 OF A BILLON DOLLARS NO WONDER HE WAS EATING AT GUS BURGER. ED
Shoot! It's too hot then.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

zz0468 wrote:
egilstrap62 wrote:...WHAT A WASTE OF 1/4 OF A BILLON DOLLARS NO WONDER HE WAS EATING AT GUS BURGER. ED
Pssst... I'll let you in on a secret. He was eating there because the burgers are pretty good. Shhh. Not a word to anybody. *wink*
Yep....good food, huge portions, and relatively cheap. What more can you ask for? And, I've never gotten food poisoning there, which is more than I can say for Mickey D's and In & Out....
markb

Post by markb »

Seems like a bit of a rush to judgement (on the radio system, not the food)!
We're talking about a radio system that covers hundreds of square miles, potentially thousands of users and areas of complex terrain. Not to mention all of the site acquisition issues early on and also the fact that there is a high speed data component of the system to deal with too. Not exactly a simple project.
Orange County took over 4 years to implement their system and it is much smaller and less complicated.
Just because the system does not fit into your timeline or the County's does not necessarily qualify it as a waste of money. If I was a user on that system, which I very well could be someday, I would want to know that it's done right and that no corners were cut. If it takes another year or 2 and goes over budget, so be it.
If anything, the biggest mistake of the whole thing is that they chose the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Apparently that's not working out so hot.

Mark
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

markb wrote:Seems like a bit of a rush to judgement (on the radio system, not the food)!
We're talking about a radio system that covers hundreds of square miles, potentially thousands of users and areas of complex terrain. Not to mention all of the site acquisition issues early on and also the fact that there is a high speed data component of the system to deal with too. Not exactly a simple project.
Orange County took over 4 years to implement their system and it is much smaller and less complicated.
Just because the system does not fit into your timeline or the County's does not necessarily qualify it as a waste of money. If I was a user on that system, which I very well could be someday, I would want to know that it's done right and that no corners were cut. If it takes another year or 2 and goes over budget, so be it.
If anything, the biggest mistake of the whole thing is that they chose the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Apparently that's not working out so hot.

Mark
It's pretty much a repeat of when the EDACS system replaced the old VHF net. They tried to strong arm local agencies to be a part of that, too (Riverside, Corona, Banning, etc) but no one wanted to then, either. In regard to the new system being encrypted so no more scanner geeks listening in, that was a major selling point of the EDACS system, that no one would be able to monitor the traffic. Remember, that was the early 90's and there were few 800 mhz and no trunking scanners available like now.