Administration

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
cvrules90

Administration

Post by cvrules90 »

Are there any frequencies/talkgroups used at the Riverside County Sheriff Headquarters in Riverside? I was thinking the staff that work there must have radios.
sp1989

Re: Administration

Post by sp1989 »

Nope. I'm sure they have EDACS radios somewhere in there to hear what's going on in the real world, but all the head chingons have Blackberries (or whatever is the latest thing, but I remember the Blackberry) for their official communications when out and about, and the plain old land line at their desk. Oh, and e-mail. If the UN ever gets it's way and starts charging for e-mails, they are gonna be up shit creek with all the e-mails they send out.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

They must have an EDACS portable in a charger in one of the side offices where they monitor some dispatch channels. Obviously the communications center does.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

It seems to me that there had, at one time, been a couple of talk groups assigned to RSO management/admin use, but I never heard any traffic on it. I've looked for my old talk group lists, and haven't found anything.

As to HT's in a charger, sure. That happens. At most (all?) the stations, there was an audio feed to the building with traffic for the primary dispatch talk group piped in. Don't know if they still work, or if they still use them. I would imagine so. People like the WC want to keep a close ear on what their people are up to.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:It seems to me that there had, at one time, been a couple of talk groups assigned to RSO management/admin use, but I never heard any traffic on it. I've looked for my old talk group lists, and haven't found anything.

As to HT's in a charger, sure. That happens. At most (all?) the stations, there was an audio feed to the building with traffic for the primary dispatch talk group piped in. Don't know if they still work, or if they still use them. I would imagine so. People like the WC want to keep a close ear on what their people are up to.
Actually, I think I remember hearing one of those when I went to tour the old Palm Desert Station (the one that was still on Fred Waring for those who can't remember). I even I heard it while I was still outside (unless that was from a car radio as there were several cars parked out front). That really does sound like a good idea especially considering they will be encrypted soon but they may go away as you say so we'll see.

But to my surprise, I didn't hear a peep from any of the deputies' speaker mics. In fact, I think the deputy who took me around the building had an earpiece because I didn't see a mic clipped on his shirt.

I also never got to see an EDACS car radio because the deputy's car was new I think, so no one could sit in it.

I also know that at the fire department, you can almost always hear the radio broadcasting messages on the dispatch channel either from a truck or the office.

For the uninformed, what does WC mean?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

zz0468 wrote:It seems to me that there had, at one time, been a couple of talk groups assigned to RSO management/admin use, but I never heard any traffic on it. I've looked for my old talk group lists, and haven't found anything.
Way back when EDACS first went into service, I think you are correct, there was a TG for Administration use, but like you said, I don't think it was used much, if at all. There used to be TGs assigned for other uses that never got used as well. I recall an incident from when RSO first switched over and the upper echelon had HTs assigned to them. One captain took his and threw it under the seat of his car on his way home. In the process, he accidentally hit the "emergency" trigger, and dispatch went ape shit for hours trying to find out who and where the Code Red came from. Boy, was he embarassed when he came back to work a few days later.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

WC = Watch Commander
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

cvrules90 wrote:They must have an EDACS portable in a charger in one of the side offices where they monitor some dispatch channels. Obviously the communications center does.
Leaving it in the charger while in use ruins the battery's ability to hold a charge after a while, BTW. More batteries got ruined that way. That, and lazy lard asses that just stick them in their back pocket and sit on them.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I thought those batteries could never be overcharged.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Not overcharged, but they develop a 'memory' if they get run in the charger and the battery never gets run down to where it needs to be recharged it ruins it, the battery will only hold a charge for a short while instead of many hours like they are supposed to. Like a rangemaster used to say all the time, "These deputies could fuck up a free meal."