Car Radio Setup

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
cvrules90

Car Radio Setup

Post by cvrules90 »

Where can I see a picture of the RSO car radio/MDT setup with the current system?
cvrules90

Re: Car Radio Setup

Post by cvrules90 »

Never said that.

Before posting, I did a google image search but didn't find it. I've seen a Motorola radio setup before but never got to see what an EDACS mobile radio looks like in the car. I've also noticed that when PTT is pressed on a Motorola radio. There's those quick 3 beeps-wonder if EDACS is the same.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

EDACS makes a bunch of different tones depending on the circs, which are impossible to describe without an audio sample, they all indicate the radio's status. The most annoying one is the tone which indicates you are not connecting to the repeater site. One of the tech people on here may be able to give a more in-depth explanation, my only experience is as a frustrated user in the field trying to communicate with dispatch and having a less than stellar experience with EDACS, especially the older brick HTs.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Also, did you notice the Uniden scanner which is standard equipment for RSO patrol cars in the EDACS close up?
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:EDACS makes a bunch of different tones depending on the circs, which are impossible to describe without an audio sample, they all indicate the radio's status. The most annoying one is the tone which indicates you are not connecting to the repeater site. One of the tech people on here may be able to give a more in-depth explanation, my only experience is as a frustrated user in the field trying to communicate with dispatch and having a less than stellar experience with EDACS, especially the older brick HTs.
I guess I"ll need to find some audio samples. Already tried with no luck.
sp1989 wrote:Also, did you notice the Uniden scanner which is standard equipment for RSO patrol cars in the EDACS close up?
Actually no, it's interesting to boot that I wouldn't notice such a thing given how much I pay attention to details.
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

yes sp i seen the bearcat scanner in the units an thanks for the pictures i was wondering what they looked like. big ed
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Just for you, cvrules, the manual for an EDACS HT, for the kind which I used for too many years. About a third of the way down is a section that explains all the beeps and what they mean.

http://hamradio.arc.nasa.gov/mrk2-booklet.html
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:Just for you, cvrules, the manual for an EDACS HT, for the kind which I used for too many years. About a third of the way down is a section that explains all the beeps and what they mean.

http://hamradio.arc.nasa.gov/mrk2-booklet.html
Great guide. Should also have short samples of the beep tones but this is good enough.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

It's all pointless now, as EDACS is long gone.