RSO Sit Along

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
temfreqhunter

RSO Sit Along

Post by temfreqhunter »

I will be doing a sit-along up in Riverside on Friday. Are there any questions that anyone would like to have asked/answered?
cvrules90

Re: RSO Sit Along

Post by cvrules90 »

temfreqhunter wrote:I will be doing a sit-along up in Riverside on Friday. Are there any questions that anyone would like to have asked/answered?
Are you gonna sit in at a comm center?
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Yes. At the west county dispatch center in Riverside.
mark_wheeler

Post by mark_wheeler »

Dayshift or graveyard?
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Beginning of grave yard. 9-11 pm. They only do 2 hour blocks.
mark_wheeler

Post by mark_wheeler »

Have fun!
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I really can't think of any questions of the top of my head, but what you'll be doing sure as hell sounds like fun. It's not always you get to do those things in life :).
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

SO... whats the update?? how was the Sit Along?
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

inlandpatch wrote:SO... whats the update?? how was the Sit Along?
Funny. I was just coming here to submit my findings when you posted that! So, I'm just going to list things in the order I asked/was able to learn about them:

-PSAP answers all wireless 911 calls in the county with E911 Phase 2 GPS.
-They still have the same CAD system called "Production" that was written in the '90s!
-- So, still no AVL or similar function :(
-As we know, all of the day to day talkgroups are encrypted. Dispatchers do not have the ability to change this, that is administered by Motorola and RCIT radio techs.
-- However, there are 2 talkgroups, called "BLUE" and "RED" that are simulcast on each site. This is SORT OF LIKE the RED talkgroup in Orange County, but they will only use it for a coordinated incident (like a vehicle pursuit) that will involve an allied agency, like CHP or SBSO/SDSO.
-All the radio consoles now use a different vendor (not Motorola or M/A Com) for their "radio keyboard" and Motorola Centracom Elite software to manage/switch/patch talkgroups and/or sites.
-From talking to several communications officers, most of the staff does not like the new system, and some have even left because of it. They say that a deputy will step on them, so they can hear it. However, other field units cannot (TDMA hardware).

I probably missed some things in there that some of you wanted to know, so just let me know and I'll try to answer it. On a side note, it was very fun going up there again :)
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

temfreqhunter wrote:
inlandpatch wrote:SO... whats the update?? how was the Sit Along?
Funny. I was just coming here to submit my findings when you posted that! So, I'm just going to list things in the order I asked/was able to learn about them:

-PSAP answers all wireless 911 calls in the county with E911 Phase 2 GPS.
-They still have the same CAD system called "Production" that was written in the '90s!
-- So, still no AVL or similar function :(
-As we know, all of the day to day talkgroups are encrypted. Dispatchers do not have the ability to change this, that is administered by Motorola and RCIT radio techs.
-- However, there are 2 talkgroups, called "BLUE" and "RED" that are simulcast on each site. This is SORT OF LIKE the RED talkgroup in Orange County, but they will only use it for a coordinated incident (like a vehicle pursuit) that will involve an allied agency, like CHP or SBSO/SDSO.
-All the radio consoles now use a different vendor (not Motorola or M/A Com) for their "radio keyboard" and Motorola Centracom Elite software to manage/switch/patch talkgroups and/or sites.
-From talking to several communications officers, most of the staff does not like the new system, and some have even left because of it. They say that a deputy will step on them, so they can hear it. However, other field units cannot (TDMA hardware).

I probably missed some things in there that some of you wanted to know, so just let me know and I'll try to answer it. On a side note, it was very fun going up there again :)

wow i cant believe that some dispatchers left because of the new system, hard to tell if it was the new system or some other reasons.... but other than that how did it sound? was their a lot of R2D2 sounds or were they pretty clear? was their any pri calls you got to hear? thanks!