Riverside Co Fire Questions

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
scnradio

Riverside Co Fire Questions

Post by scnradio »

I have 2 questions. #1 Why on a cpr call does dispatch dispatch 2 medic engs? #2 when a unit is on a call and jump on the freeway do they shut down code all the way? (no noise or lights) i know why no noise but why no lights?
radioprescott

Re: Riverside Co Fire Questions

Post by radioprescott »

#1 Why on a cpr call does dispatch dispatch 2 medic engs?
On the scene of a full code, there is a lot of work to do: Start chest compressions, set up oxygen, intubate, ventilate, start an IV, push drugs, set up the cardiac monitor, patch to the ER and get orders, take history and chart. A lot to do for 3-4 people. So the next due engine's ALS will assist with advanced interventions, and the BLS will assist with CPR, etc.
when a unit is on a call and jump on the freeway do they shut down code all the way?
I have seen FD units in San Diego run with rear warning lights only on the freeway, generally in the right lane, until they near the scene, then they light up.

John
radioprescott
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

scnradio wrote:I have 2 questions. #2 when a unit is on a call and jump on the freeway do they shut down code all the way? (no noise or lights) i know why no noise but why no lights?
Running code on the freeway actually becomes more of a hazard then not running code. Drivers pay more attention to the engine then to their driving. Traffic backs up because the engine generally can't go more then 50-60mph due to the size and weight of the engine. People will even pass the engine going code due to inattention or they don't care. All this causes more of a chance of a traffic collision. I am sure everyone has been stuck or slowed in traffic just to pass a CHP car that has pulled over vehicle and the CHP car doesn't have any lights on. It is all the lookie-loos that are not paying attention to the road and looking at the side of the road.

The engine will go code once traffic has backed up and stopped on the freeway. They will pass in the center divider or right median.
scnradio

Post by scnradio »

Ty for the quick answers. The shutting down code on the freeway makes alot of scense to me.
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

Kingscup wrote:
scnradio wrote:I have 2 questions. #2 when a unit is on a call and jump on the freeway do they shut down code all the way? (no noise or lights) i know why no noise but why no lights?
Running code on the freeway actually becomes more of a hazard then not running code. Drivers pay more attention to the engine then to their driving. Traffic backs up because the engine generally can't go more then 50-60mph due to the size and weight of the engine. People will even pass the engine going code due to inattention or they don't care. All this causes more of a chance of a traffic collision. I am sure everyone has been stuck or slowed in traffic just to pass a CHP car that has pulled over vehicle and the CHP car doesn't have any lights on. It is all the lookie-loos that are not paying attention to the road and looking at the side of the road.

The engine will go code once traffic has backed up and stopped on the freeway. They will pass in the center divider or right median.
Code 3 on the right median ?, you are just asking for trouble when people pull to the right and TC into you. I seen engines do it and I still hold my breath. :o
egilstrap62

Post by egilstrap62 »

WHAT ARE AIR DROP FREQS AIR - GROUND FREQS THANKS ED
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Air Tac freqs 1-166.675 2-169.150 3-169.200 4-151.280 5-151.295 6-151.310 7-130.200. I'm hearing drops right now on Tac 6, not sure which fire it is though.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

When fire crews go to a call, I know they're assigned a support channel by Perris dispatch. Do both the mobiles and portables switch to support or just the portables?

Also, when a commanding officer establishes command on the Support net and a Tac is assigned, if I get this right: The FFs change to the TAC to talk amongst themselves and commanding officer stays on Support right?
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

cvrules90 wrote:When fire crews go to a call, I know they're assigned a support channel by Perris dispatch. Do both the mobiles and portables switch to support or just the portables?
The first arriving engine company will assume command of the incident unless there are circumstances where they need to "pass command" to the second arriving engine company (i.e. rescue or other factors). The incident commander has several options and it is a personal preference. The mobile radio can remain on support and the HT can be on Tac. Another option is all HTs can scan like a scanner so the I.C. can hear both support and tac. Only the I.C. should be talking with Perris so all other firefighters should be on tac. On vegetation fires, there is no "passing command". First arriving engine company assumes I.C. and remains I.C. until a battalion chief assumes command.
Also, when a commanding officer establishes command on the Support net and a Tac is assigned, if I get this right: The FFs change to the TAC to talk amongst themselves and commanding officer stays on Support right?
The I.C. monitors both support and tac. All other firefighters are to be on tac. If a fire is big enough, an operations position is established and all tac traffic is relayed to the operations position. Operations then coordinates with the I.C.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I have always thought that mobile fire radios stay on the dispatch channel.