Incidents with Multiple Supports

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
cvrules90

Incidents with Multiple Supports

Post by cvrules90 »

What would happen if an incident happened requiring units that respond on different supports/

For example let's say Palm Desert and Indian Wells (Support 12) need to go to an incident with Indio and Coachella (Support 10). Would that require a Tac to be assigned?
Kingscup

Re: Incidents with Multiple Supports

Post by Kingscup »

It depends on the situation. Since some supports radio coverage can overlap, some engines can respond on a different support then their normal support channel and hear all traffic from Perris. Other stations will need to respond on their normal support channel and as they get closer to an incident, they will need to switch support channels when there is better radio coverage of that support channel. Then there is situation where Perris is simulcasting on multiple support channels. Supports 10 and 12 are handled by the same dispatcher and when Perris has traffic, it will be heard on both channels. Engine companies on support 10 can hear Perris when simulcasting but will not hear other engine companies on support 12. They will have to switch to support 12 to hear and talk to them. I am not sure what you mean by the Tac question. Tac freqs are assigned at time of dispatch. They are used for on scene communications. Engine companies will not switch to a Tac freq until they are on scene.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I just thought that tacticals were used during large events requiring multiple coordination. Either way thanks for the explanation. So I guess on the Support channels traffic is only repeated to dispatch. Companies have to switch to another support if they want to talk amongst themselves at an incident.
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

I believe tac freq.. Are simplex low wattage for on scene between all fire personnel. I'm not clear if Perris can monitor traffic.
markb

Post by markb »

Units can communicate amongst each other on Support Nets, but for them, it's line of sight, just like the Tac's, so they have to be close to each other.
The Tac channels are licensed for mobile/portable use only, so the ECC can't transmit and are likely not able to listen on the tac's.
4and6

Post by 4and6 »

Thanks Mark...
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

markb wrote:Units can communicate amongst each other on Support Nets, but for them, it's line of sight, just like the Tac's, so they have to be close to each other.
The Tac channels are licensed for mobile/portable use only, so the ECC can't transmit and are likely not able to listen on the tac's.
Exactly what I thought.

I thought that fire crews switch to the appropriate support to talk with the dispatcher, and that firefighters with an assignment go to Tac to talk to the crew member who establishes command.