Fire Patrol

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
cvrules90

Fire Patrol

Post by cvrules90 »

What do these units do? Are they used during wildfires?
markb

Re: Fire Patrol

Post by markb »

They are simply a type of fire engine (type 4,5,6) used for wildland firefighting. Typically it's a heavier duty pickup truck with a skid-mounted pump, tank and possibly a foam system. They are typically staffed with 2 personnel.
Most of the time, they aren't involved in heavy firefighting. They will do mop-up, prep structures and things like that. The advantage is that they are small and very mobile, but they don't have a whole lot of water.
In other states like Arizona, the majority of their wildland rigs are of this type.

Mark
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I thought that they were some kind of patrol unit to patrol areas with illegal burning or parking on fire lanes.
markb

Post by markb »

No. Not really a law enforcement component tied to the vehicle. If anything, the term came from patrolling the fireline for hotspots.

cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

markb wrote:No. Not really a law enforcement component tied to the vehicle. If anything, the term came from patrolling the fireline for hotspots.

Oh so it had its roots planted quite long ago.