Another Failure

Forum to discuss radio scanning outside of Riverside County. This is the ideal place to post topics related to Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Imperial County and Western Arizona.
cvrules90

Re: Another Failure

Post by cvrules90 »

800, I always thought that System 71 was to replace the RCS and that jails were using it for now. I realize I am in error.

Post by 800 »

cvrules90 wrote:800, I always thought that System 71 was to replace the RCS and that jails were using it for now. I realize I am in error.
Not a problem. The next generation RCS will continue to be primarily on 800 MHz (as it stands now), with the County's facility-specific systems such as the jails operating on 700.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

So will the jail system be stand-alone, or will it be interconnected to the RCS?

Post by 800 »

cvrules90 wrote:So will the jail system be stand-alone, or will it be interconnected to the RCS?
The Jail systems are stand-alone and not interconnected.

The RCS operates as a partnership between the County and the other using entities. The operating cost is shared among the partners.
The acquisition and operating costs of those systems that benefit only the County (Jails, Courts, etc.) are paid by the using Departments.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

So the stand-alone system then is more like a fill-in to provide coverage to the portables in the jail buildings.

Post by 800 »

cvrules90 wrote:So the stand-alone system then is more like a fill-in to provide coverage to the portables in the jail buildings.
'Fill-in' implies that they are part of a wide area network (and can communicate with units outside of the facility). The jail systems are totally stand-alone (no connection with the mother ship). They serve the portables and control stations throughout the facilities. The central control points have RCS control stations also, to communicate with outside units and Sheriff's dispatch.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I had no idea. I always thought "fill-in" meant a system to supplement or improve comms on a TRS like the Cabazon and Jurupa channels were used as fill-ins.
Mike_G_D

Post by Mike_G_D »

cvrules90 wrote:I had no idea. I always thought "fill-in" meant a system to supplement or improve comms on a TRS like the Cabazon and Jurupa channels were used as fill-ins.
And you were right, "fill-in" does mean a system which will "fill-in" for a major system in areas where the major system's main sites do not reach well. However, it also means that it is still tied into that system - still a part of it. The jail systems in SD county are NOT part of the major RCS system, they are "stand alone" independent systems so are not "fill-in's" for the RCS. The individual radios in use on such systems may still have the ability to communicate on the RCS and/or there may be system patch channels in place on the system for that use but the system itself is not a part of the larger RCS unlike a true "fill-in" site would be.

-Mike
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

There are jail talkgroups on the RCS.

Post by 800 »

cvrules90 wrote:There are jail talkgroups on the RCS.
Yes, for operations external to the individual facilities. There is one jail talkgroup on the RCS that was set up for for countywide LE units to contact the sally port of the County Jail downtown when bringing in prisoners. It sits idle most of the time. The three booking jails are usually contacted on one of the simplex channels. There also is a talkgroup used to communicate between detention facilities and any staff detailed to provide security for a prisoner while in one of the hospitals for medical care. The Detentions Command has RCS talkgroups for their training and investigations staff operating countywide.

The majority of traffic for the individual facility radio systems consists of staff asking the control desk of whatever housing unit to open door "X".