Another Failure

Forum to discuss radio scanning outside of Riverside County. This is the ideal place to post topics related to Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Imperial County and Western Arizona.
cvrules90

Another Failure

Post by cvrules90 »

This is living proof that LAPD will be on RICS.
http://www.policeone.com/officer-surviv ... t-released
CQPSK

Re: Another Failure

Post by CQPSK »

I wonder if LARICS will cover better in Corona than LAPD's existing system? LARICS from what I understand will use many of the same sites, and in fact even more lower level sites with a smaller but more concentrated footprint in the greater LA area (the cellular approach). Not sure that would have helped the Corona problem at all unless PTT over LTE was build out in LA and Riverside County.

This baffles me a bit in that I can hear many of the LAPD P25 repeaters in the Riverside area on an HT just fine. I can also work UHF repeaters on Lukens and Mt. Lee from and HT in many parts of Corona and western Riverside without much difficulty. U-TAC-42 on San Sevine Peak also works wonderful all throughout Riverside and Corona into L.A.

I think the heart of the problem was that LAPD was WAY outside their normal area of operation without a good comm PLAN. There ARE systems and channels LAPD COULD have used to talk out of these areas. It sounds like they were "scrambling" to put the protection plan in place and the comms portion of it may have not been completely resolved before deployment.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

That's a good point. I think they're gonna try to extend coverage to surrounding counties in case of a mass incident like a cross-county pursuit. I'd like to see this too, but I guess we won't know till 5 years from now.
CQPSK

Post by CQPSK »

The only system that is supposed to be "multi-regional" is FirstNet, but "FirstNet" really is a high speed data system, and there is no real "good" solution for mission critical PTT over LTE yet (Smartphones make HORRIBLE PTT radios and there is no simplex on LTE…a big issue). Motorola did just come out with a RADIO that supports P25 VHF, UHF, or 800 Mhz radio and incorporates LTE as well. LA-RICS radio network side is not supposed to go beyond the L.A. region for coordination / licensing reasons.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

CQPSK wrote:The only system that is supposed to be "multi-regional" is FirstNet, but "FirstNet" really is a high speed data system, and there is no real "good" solution for mission critical PTT over LTE yet (Smartphones make HORRIBLE PTT radios and there is no simplex on LTE…a big issue). Motorola did just come out with a RADIO that supports P25 VHF, UHF, or 800 Mhz radio and incorporates LTE as well. LA-RICS radio network side is not supposed to go beyond the L.A. region for coordination / licensing reasons.
So what if a chase goes into Riverside County? Would they resort to simplex channels?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I thought that was the purpose of the CLEMARS frequencies which no one seems to remember when they are needed?
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I thought that was the purpose of the CLEMARS frequencies which no one seems to remember when they are needed?
Well you can put CLEMARS and FIREMARS patches on trunked radio, can't you?
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

RSO HT's and mobile radios all have CLEMARS, FIREMARS, ITAC freqs programmed into them, but I have never heard them used as they were intended. RPD also has UHF CLEMARS in their radios, again, have never heard them used. Not sure why, maybe in the heat of a pursuit, officers don;t want to start dicking around on their radios looking for it. I bet dollars to donuts if you ask any boot what CLEMARS is, let alone NALEMARS and CALCORD, they have no idea what you're talking about.
Mike_G_D

Post by Mike_G_D »

cvrules90 wrote:Well you can put CLEMARS and FIREMARS patches on trunked radio, can't you?
Defeats the purpose if you're out of range of the network, though. In this case, that is the point of switching to simplex for local units off-network. Patches to the trunked system wouldn't be any better than staying on the trunked system main channels.

-Mike
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

RSO used to communicate with other agencies like CHP by way of scanner monitoring. Uniden scanners were a standard piece of equipment in patrol cars, with CHP and local agencies frequencies programmed in. Local agencies did likewise, and units in the field could communicate with each other by monitoring each others' frequencies. That method is not possible now that RSO is encrypted.