SBC Emergency

Forum to discuss radio scanning outside of Riverside County. This is the ideal place to post topics related to Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Imperial County and Western Arizona.
cvrules90

SBC Emergency

Post by cvrules90 »

What would be San Bernardino County's equivalent of Orange County's RED?
zz0468

Re: SBC Emergency

Post by zz0468 »

That would be the Chase channels 6-Chase, 8-Chase, etc.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Do those Chase channels work across all systems?
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

San Bernardino has a county RED channel that works across all systems. the plan was to do the same thing what Orange County does, use that for BOLO's and critical events, the only problem is that every department dispatches a different way and has different protocols for everything so it makes it difficult. I have never heard anyone talk on the red channel and I am guessing its obsolete. As my understanding San Bernardino county dispatchers use what is called "law i-com" which is the same as Orange County RED channel but is no way monitorable, not that is is encrypted, but is more of a intercom that every dispatch center in southern California has access too, and they use that to relay information.

As far as the 6-Chase and 8-Chase, they are not patched across the systems but could be if they need it to be. My understanding of how the Chase channels work is if they have a pursuit and is going across the county officers could switch to that to have constant contact with dispatch. I've heard this first hand while listening to a purist that started in Ontario, and used a combinations of 6-chase and 8-chase, it just depends on radio coverage.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

inlandpatch wrote:San Bernardino has a county RED channel that works across all systems. the plan was to do the same thing what Orange County does, use that for BOLO's and critical events, the only problem is that every department dispatches a different way and has different protocols for everything so it makes it difficult. I have never heard anyone talk on the red channel and I am guessing its obsolete. As my understanding San Bernardino county dispatchers use what is called "law i-com" which is the same as Orange County RED channel but is no way monitorable, not that is is encrypted, but is more of a intercom that every dispatch center in southern California has access too, and they use that to relay information.

As far as the 6-Chase and 8-Chase, they are not patched across the systems but could be if they need it to be. My understanding of how the Chase channels work is if they have a pursuit and is going across the county officers could switch to that to have constant contact with dispatch. I've heard this first hand while listening to a purist that started in Ontario, and used a combinations of 6-chase and 8-chase, it just depends on radio coverage.
About that intercom thing? Is that like a patch or something?
inlandpatch

Post by inlandpatch »

cvrules90 wrote:
inlandpatch wrote:San Bernardino has a county RED channel that works across all systems. the plan was to do the same thing what Orange County does, use that for BOLO's and critical events, the only problem is that every department dispatches a different way and has different protocols for everything so it makes it difficult. I have never heard anyone talk on the red channel and I am guessing its obsolete. As my understanding San Bernardino county dispatchers use what is called "law i-com" which is the same as Orange County RED channel but is no way monitorable, not that is is encrypted, but is more of a intercom that every dispatch center in southern California has access too, and they use that to relay information.

About that intercom thing? Is that like a patch or something?

no nothing to do with radios, its basically an phone line that is connected to all dispatch centers, the county radio guys refer it to as "copper line"
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

So like phone patching of sorts I imagine. I'm no radio guru, you can tell.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

The chase channel is not patched, but as inlandpatch states, it could be - but probably won't. The talk group ID exists in all systems. Same with the red channel talk group but it never seems to be used. Chase is actually used on occasion. There is also a red channel conventional, don't remember the frequency, that lives at one of the mountain system sites. It's not a trunked talk group, but a separate radio frequency. Again, it's pretty much never used.

The intercom is something entirely different. It appears on the consoles just like a radio channel to the dispatchers. It ties to a BIM (base interface module) in the various consoles identical to how a radio would, but it's a combination of microwave circuits and dedicated leased lines, depending on what's available and where. Every major dispatch center in the county, and some in adjacent counties, has access to it. It's not scannable, but makes for some good listening for the people who have access to it.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:The chase channel is not patched, but as inlandpatch states, it could be - but probably won't. The talk group ID exists in all systems. Same with the red channel talk group but it never seems to be used. Chase is actually used on occasion. There is also a red channel conventional, don't remember the frequency, that lives at one of the mountain system sites. It's not a trunked talk group, but a separate radio frequency. Again, it's pretty much never used.

The intercom is something entirely different. It appears on the consoles just like a radio channel to the dispatchers. It ties to a BIM (base interface module) in the various consoles identical to how a radio would, but it's a combination of microwave circuits and dedicated leased lines, depending on what's available and where. Every major dispatch center in the county, and some in adjacent counties, has access to it. It's not scannable, but makes for some good listening for the people who have access to it.
Good explaination. I still got a lot to learn about radio stuff. I guess there's more to it than just a PTT button...
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:Good explaination. I still got a lot to learn about radio stuff. I guess there's more to it than just a PTT button...
I think you would be bedazzled by all the behind the scenes infrastructure that exists between the dispatcher, and your scanner.