Comments: Radio Shack 800Mhz Antenna

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

Comments: Radio Shack 800Mhz Antenna

Post by convE36 »

I purchased Radio Shack's 800Mhz antenna to use on my Uniden BC246T. Mainly to monitor RSO's 800MHz EDACS system, and hoping to pick-up Murrieta PD from where I am in Canyon Lake (which did'nt happen).

Either this new antenna sucks or I may just be expecting more from it...

Anyone else have any comments on this antenna?
Radio52

Re: Comments: Radio Shack 800Mhz Antenna

Post by Radio52 »

You're not gonna get Murrieta from up there.....I didn't get them on the SB I15 until Clinton Keith with a Pro97 and stock ant.

Post by 318 »

Is it one of those little rubber ones for the top of a hand-held scanner that has '800Mhz' printed on it? Those things are awsome... I own several and I am not a fan of any Radio Shack products.
convE36

Post by convE36 »

318 wrote:Is it one of those little rubber ones for the top of a hand-held scanner that has '800Mhz' printed on it? Those things are awsome... I own several and I am not a fan of any Radio Shack products.
yeah thats the one...

Post by 211 »

It's not going to be possible to receive Murrieta PD from Canyon Lake, unless you can get an antenna a few hundred feet up in the air. The hills that run along the north end of Murrieta (just south of Bundy Canyon / Scott Road and just north of Clinton Keith) block the line of sight to the transmission tower (which is located on the extreme eastern edge of the same hills). Unless you're on the back side of Lake Elsinore (Grand Ave) or you're in Murrieta or Temecula, it's nearly impossible to receive them.

I've heard a few others on this forum mention that they can receive Murrieta PD in the Hemet/San Jacinto area, though.

Post by 318 »

I can hear them on an HT from my house in Heritage Lake. (Menifee)
bub50

Post by bub50 »

Canyon Lake has a lot of "dead zones" for the RSO system. I dont think any antenna
will make a difference on a hand held.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

That antenna is the BEST for the Temecula area. It gets pretty much anything you could want. But Cannyon Lake does have a lot of dead zones.