Out of Area Question

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
kingofku

Out of Area Question

Post by kingofku »

I know this board covers Riverside County, but I travel a lot into San Diego. I've loaded in the San Diego City and Country frequencies and talkgroups, but for some reason I cannot get any activity. Any assist would be appreciated.
sp1989

Re: Out of Area Question

Post by sp1989 »

I don't live near there, but maybe this will help? It's from Radioreference.

Please be aware that all 800MHz frequencies used in San Diego between 851.0000 and 865.9875MHz are assigned from the SPLINTER bandplan. This means they are offset by 12.5kHZ (e.g., 856.0125 is not used, instead 856.0000 is used in its place). When programming any Motorola 3600 trunked system you must program the system as a splinter system.

It is recommended to program systems or sites using frequencies between 866.0000 through 868.9875 as splinter systems. This will not affect operation and tracking. If and when a site adds frequencies below 866MHz you will not need to change any system/site programming options.
kingofku

Post by kingofku »

sp1989 wrote:I don't live near there, but maybe this will help? It's from Radioreference.

Please be aware that all 800MHz frequencies used in San Diego between 851.0000 and 865.9875MHz are assigned from the SPLINTER bandplan. This means they are offset by 12.5kHZ (e.g., 856.0125 is not used, instead 856.0000 is used in its place). When programming any Motorola 3600 trunked system you must program the system as a splinter system.

It is recommended to program systems or sites using frequencies between 866.0000 through 868.9875 as splinter systems. This will not affect operation and tracking. If and when a site adds frequencies below 866MHz you will not need to change any system/site programming options.
So, I guess this mean that all of their frequencies and the ones I have already programmed in need to be changed.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

The only trunked systems I listen to are EDACS, so I'm not much help with this. Do you use Starrsoft to program your radio? I use Win96 & 97 and import all the info from Radioreference, which does all the brain work for me. It's worth the subscription price to make programming easy, because if I had to enter all this stuff by hand from the keypad on the radio, I would've given up with trunked radio a long time ago.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

I, too try to listen to the SD RCS (North County System). I live in Temecula, which is a valley. Elevation makes all the difference in the world. Just 100 feet above Temecula's elevation is the difference between 4 bars and none. I used to live in Carlsbad, and travel down there occasionaly, and it works fine for me. If you can't get it IN San Diego County, make sure you have programmed the system in correctly. It is a splinter system. It should be entered in as a MOT 800/900 sys. Multi-Sire should be off. Trucking Tables should be set to default. Dont edit the fleet Map, either. This system also prefers a higher squelch, usually about 3/7's way open. If it still doesn't work, reply back.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Another thing that I have forgotten is that if you have a GRE PSR-500 or PSR-600, you need to apply an update. I was an early adopter to this scanner and the first few firmware releases had a problem with 800/900 splinter systems. visit http://www.greamerica.com/support/index ... temid=1015