San Bernardino and other counties

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
markclark

Re: San Bernardino and other counties

Post by markclark »

An L.A. County website would be a great idea. :)
scnradio

Post by scnradio »

So is this a go or not. I think L.A County and San Bernardino would work. I also think that maybe we should have some people do one and other's do the other county so brandon does not get over worked.
temfreqhunter

Post by temfreqhunter »

Personally, I think a San Diego site would be awsome, scense there is a much higher demand down there than in SBD Co. On the other hand, though, if you did create a San Bernardino site, it could sort of form an Inland Empire-wide site.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

To tell everyone the truth, I would love to have LA County. I'm not a web designer but I can help out with freqs if need be. I could send in some freqs and other info so the site would be developed. (I think LA would be better than San Diego since it's an area that many tourists frequent more).

Also (and I know they're out of state), but I think Phoenix and Vegas would also be good ideas if we can find out some info since those too are fairly in the same area.
Brian

Post by Brian »

or just do a partnership with scandiego.com 8-)
It can be updated to Wordpress,etc so all the sites could look the same!
Someone should talk SEAN (owner of ScanDiego) into it!

It could be like the "GO network" ABC/Walt Disney did long time ago...
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

I agree with Brian. I can see the benefit of combining ScanDiego with ScanRiverside. It wouldn't make much sense to attempt to duplicate the San Diego information. Then add in the San Bernardino information and the site could benefit from the increased users from three counties.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

What we should actually do would be to have a Wikipedia-style website and call it something like ScanSoCali. That would benefit everyone from Riverside, San Bernerdino, Orange, LA, San Diego, and Imperial Counties.

Also, people can then contribute and write pages for free without going through contacts back and forth.
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

I think that a database is the most important part. A wiki is OK but pulling freqs from a dozen or more different wikis is no fun. A good database with some tools to search for agencies/TGs/freqs/etc that was tailored to SoCal wold be a fundamental part IMHO. Wikis could be used for brevity codes for individual agencies, coverage maps, and other supporting documents.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I see what you mean but wikis are things that anyone can freely edit. This would speed up creation as everybody has their knowledge and can write about things in detail (i.e. fire station locations, etc...).

In the wiki, we could have lists of frequencies by community or something like that.
brandon

Post by brandon »

San Bernardino County is the next on the list. The site is already in progress.

What I'm going to need help with is figuring how the trunk system is mapped. Basically what I want to find out is how San Bernardino County assigns the x-FIRE-x and x-FGND-x channels on the 800 MHz system. Do they assign the firegrounds to certain areas of the county (similar to the RVC Supports and Tacs) or is it just pick one and use? For example I have found sites that show 1-FGND-2 used for Apple Valley. RadioReference database does not seem to list much info pertaining to this. I'm sure somebody here is familiar enough with San Bernardino County to know on how it's done.

As for the website it's going to look just like ScanRiverside and will be organized by community, along with forums, resources, incident logs, links etc.