San Bernardino and other counties

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
Jlanfn

Re: San Bernardino and other counties

Post by Jlanfn »

I've noticed the typical usage for System 6/7 is:

6-Fire-1 = Command/Response for valley areas west of and including Rialto
6-Fire-2 = Dispatch for all valley areas
6-Fire-3 = Command/Response for valley areas east of Rialto
6-Fgnd-1 = Fireground tactical for valley areas west of and including Rialto (except Rancho Cucamonga FPD)
6-Fgnd-2 = Fireground tactical for Rancho Cucamonga FPD
6-Fgnd-3 = Fireground tactical for valley areas east of Rialto
6-Fgnd-4 through 6-Fgnd-8 = Training and misc. mobile-to-mobile

Also note that Rancho Cucamonga FPD uses many of its own channels for training that are not a part of the normal CommCenter lineup. I'm still trying to identify all of these.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

I also know that there are many simplex 800MHz band frequencies available for use although don't know much beyond that.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Brandon:

Sounds like a great idea. I'll be glad to provide all the information I have. I've been monitoring SB County for years.

Bob in Running Springs
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

One thing that we should remember is that SB County has multiple Motorola Smartnets instead of a single SmartZone. I never understood why though. Furthermore, each of the Smartnets covers a specific part. System 9 covers San Berardino City and I believe Systems 6 and 7 cover the southern end. (Forgot what that valley was called).
BobT

Post by BobT »

cvrules90 wrote:One thing that we should remember is that SB County has multiple Motorola Smartnets instead of a single SmartZone. I never understood why though. Furthermore, each of the Smartnets covers a specific part. System 9 covers San Berardino City and I believe Systems 6 and 7 cover the southern end. (Forgot what that valley was called).

Actually SB City is System 10.

Here is the rest I have info on:
System 1 - Victorville
System 2 - Barstow
System 3 - Lucerne Valley
System 4 - Yucca Valley
System 5 - Needles
System 6/7 - Valley Cities FDs & PDs (except Colton); all valley SBSO units (Loma Linda, Rancho, Chino, etc)
System 8 Law - Yucaipa SO/Big Bear SO/Twin Peaks SO/Colton PD
System 8 Fire - SB County Fire (mountains), Running Springs FD, Big Bear & Big Bear Lake (CDF dispatches for Crest Forest & Arrowbear Lake)
System 9 - West End Cities (Ontario, Upland, Chino, Montclair)

Interestingly I have heard Fontana PD on system 8 and Colton PD on system 6 - I think that they were just patched together for the benefit of the dispatcher.

For monitoring of remote fire traffic I have found 8-Fire-2 (TG:1936) provides excellent coverage for System 1 (Victorville, Hesperia, Adelanto, Spring Valley Lake and Mtn View Acres); the other high desert areas (Apple Valley, Barstow and BDC stations)along with the low desert come through quite well on 6-Fireground-7 (TG:2384)

That's probably more information than anyone wanted.

Bob
BobT

Post by BobT »

Jlanfn wrote:I've noticed the typical usage for System 6/7 is:
Also note that Rancho Cucamonga FPD uses many of its own channels for training that are not a part of the normal CommCenter lineup. I'm still trying to identify all of these.
RCFD has several proprietary talk-groups- the predominant use is for "drill" traffic (incident simulation)
2608 - RCFD OPS 1 (sometimes called OPS 2)
2576 - RCFD OPS 2 (or OPS 1 if they aren't sure) (prev TAC 2)
2416 - RCFD OPS (prev TAC 1)
2832 - RCFD Command 3 (came over from System 9 - not used much anymore)
2896 - RCFD Hazmat (little use)
2736 - Admin (little use)

Of course, any of this may have changed during the last few weeks (I haven't been monitoring a lot)

Bob
BobT

Post by BobT »

cvrules90 wrote:One thing that we should remember is that SB County has multiple Motorola Smartnets instead of a single SmartZone.
I forgot to add that some Desert departments are dispatched by CDF - Daggett, Yermo, Newberry Springs and also Morongo Valley

Bob
Jlanfn

Post by Jlanfn »

BobT wrote:RCFD has several proprietary talk-groups- the predominant use is for "drill" traffic (incident simulation)
Thanks for the info. I had heard them on the following 6/7 talkgroups:

cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

As per RR, SBC has ten Motorola Smartnets. Systems 6 and 7 are put together to provide greater coverage as that is the area with a lot of calls. Systems 11-20 are extensions of their corresponding system (e.g. 13 = System 3) to provide extended coverage. Conventional 800MHz freqs are also used to fill in gaps.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:As per RR, SBC has ten Motorola Smartnets. Systems 6 and 7 are put together to provide greater coverage as that is the area with a lot of calls. Systems 11-20 are extensions of their corresponding system (e.g. 13 = System 3) to provide extended coverage. Conventional 800MHz freqs are also used to fill in gaps.
Just to clarify, Systems 6 and 7 are ONE system, not two "put together". It appears as two systems in the mobiles and portables only to accommodate the large number of talk groups, and to provide some sense of organization. It is NOT two separate systems.