MDC/Radio Problems South

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. This area was mostly for stuff about the old EDACS system, but new topics about RSO are also welcome.
cvrules90

MDC/Radio Problems South

Post by cvrules90 »

Just listening online-anyone notice all the problems especially in Menifee? Radio techs are being advised. I also heard 2PC40 say she was having problems sending and receiving messages on her MDC.

Lol things are crazy! If only MOTOROLA had been nice enough to install sites in the begining, we would never see days like this.
rolncode2892

Re: MDC/Radio Problems South

Post by rolncode2892 »

How is it Motorola's fault? The current radio system was not built by Motorola. Furthermore, the MDC's use cellular service. So again, tell me how it's Motorola's fault?
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Lol because they didn't offer a good enough bargain like Ericsson (or Ge, or whatever it was called back then). Plus just now I heard dispatch tell all units that MDC cell service is down and that radio techs are being deployed. Maybe I didn't word things right, but what I meant to say was that Motorola did not offer to build as many sites as Ericsson. Plus it's a shame that deputies can't use in-car radios to communicate with dispatch and other patrol cars because the mobiles and MDTs share frequencies.
rolncode2892

Post by rolncode2892 »

You are obviously confused. When the current system was built, Motorola recommended more sites than GE, thus costing more. The county went with the lowest bidder (GE) and got way fewer sites than Motorola recommended. Now that Motorola is building the new system, I believe there will be in excess of 70 sites (you can check the PSEC reports to confirm)

As far as data and voice sharing the same channel, that is no longer the case. Data has been moved to cellular. The only time data uses a voice channel is when cellular fails or is out of range. And deputies can still talk to whomever they want on their unit radios. Data does not cover voice transmissions. The voice covers data transmissions, which is why some deputies were leaving their unit radios on another less-used channel and depending on their HT's to communicate.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Well thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know, King County, Wash. was proposing its Motorolat TRS round the same time RSO got EDACS (1992ish). Today, we have a 100% Analog SmartZone serving the whole Greater Seattle. There are no complaints as far as I can tell and coverage is great (although I still hear dispatch ask an officer or deputy to repeat some information when running a name on occassion) that probably happens when they're on the cusp of a site in a fringe area. Otherwise, the county seems happy with their TRS as far as I'm aware and I haven't heard any recent reports that my scanning habits here will change anytime soon.