New CHP Radio System

Post frequencies and talkgroups for Riverside County. In this area you will find some of the most up-to-date frequency/talkgroup notes and information about newly discovered systems.
markclark

New CHP Radio System

Post by markclark »

It looks like Indio CHP is gearing up for the new CHP radio system coming to Southern California. Two new frequencies have been licensed in the desert area; they are: 45.04Mhz and 45.18Mhz. The FCC database shows those frequencies either licensed, or pending licensing, at several mount top radio sites in the desert. Southern Division was scheduled to begin its changeover this month, but there are only a couple of the new licenses in place, so it may be the desert will get the upgrade first. Also, has anyone ever heard any traffic on 45.86Mhz ?
2wayfreq

Re: New CHP Radio System

Post by 2wayfreq »

Which desert? SB or Riv?
markclark

Post by markclark »

Riverside County.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Definitely need to start searching 45mhz. I visit the Sacramento area every few months to visit my son. I've found that some CHP offices in that area have gone to 45mhz for the dispatch side, while the mobiles remain on 42mhz. Since many of the L.A. area office freqs are also used by other soCal offices I would guess that eventually we'll see some dispatch freqs move to 45mhz.

<>< Mike
markclark

Post by markclark »

The entire state will be changing frequencies in the coming year. Some areas will change mobile frequencies only; such as the Border and Inland Divisions. All divisions will get a new Blue channel, and all divisions will be assigned a new PL tone. Baldwin Park and South L.A just changed to 45.02 and 39.22 Mhz respectively, with 186.2 PL. So far, it's taken about a week to get each new channel pair up and running. The new system sounds great. The power output is greater at each site and of course, the channels are repeated. I'm looking forward to hearing Indio in repeat mode.
retiredFD07

Post by retiredFD07 »

Dang, Mark, you beat me to it. I searched 45mhz last night and found Baldwin Park in the repeater mode on 45.02. I'm too far away to hear the mobiles, and I haven't heard South L.A. yet - also probably too far away.

I've heard CHP use this as a Tactical freq as far back as 1998. It's been used as an air-to-ground for speeders on I-15 betwen V'ville and Barstow, also as a Rose Parade CP freq.

<>< Mike
markclark

Post by markclark »

Yes 45.02 Mhz was Tac-1, Ivory and at least one other designated channel pair. You should receive the new Orange-2 much better as new antennas and coax have improved signal strength. I think the power has been increased too. It looks like they did it right this time. Channel interference isn't a consideration with the new system. I could never understand why Indio shared the Pink/Red channel with West L.A. CHP. Indio comes booming in all over the L.A. basin with its Snow Peak transmitter.
markclark

Post by markclark »

It looks like 45.04 Mhz will be the new CHP Red-2 channel for the Indio, Blythe, and San Gorgonio Pass areas. Rumor has it, installation should begin next month.
markclark

Post by markclark »

OK, maybe it will happen a year later than expected, but CHP recently licensed 44.98Mhz at: Chuckwalla PK; Black Metal Mtn.; Iron Mountain; Snow Peak; Hemet and Toro Peak. I don't know if this will be the RED or the BLUE channel. I heard there have been some interference problems with planned frequencies in other areas, but it most cases the frequencies are as published in that PDF document on Radio Refrence.com.

The other licensed CHP desert frequencies are: 45.18; 45.04; 45.66.

Perhaps . . . finally . . . the radio system upgrade is on the horizon. Please post testing or other reception reports.
markclark

Post by markclark »

I hope this isn't too far out of this website's area, but I'm sure some members commute from Riverside to Orange County:

Yesterday Indio CHP was testing Blue-2 Border -East on 44.98 Mhz. Reception was good on the Orange County/L.A. County line in SE L.A. County, near Cal State Long Beach.

Today, CHP was testing on Blue -2 Border West, 39.24 Mhz, PL 136.5. There was testing on several peaks; perhaps the new Border West Blue covers the coast and Border East Blue covers inland and desert areas. All the peaks tested were in Orange county which means the changeover for that area is coming. Supposedly, only the PL's will change in Orange County, and possibly the new Blue Channel will be added to replace 39.14 Mhz.

Hilltops tested:

Yorba Linda (Possibly the Diemer Water Works)
Puente Hills (Whittier Nike Site/La Habra Peak?)
Bolero Peak (N/E of Orange)
Ortega Peak (E/of San Juan Capistrano)
Loma Ridge
Signal Peak (Costa Mesa)