Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
brandon

Re: Question about Uniden Bearcat BC246T

Post by brandon »

When you say control channel noise that would be sound #1 --- if this is the case then yes something is definitely wrong because that should not be heard unless you manually tune to the control channel freq. If it's sound #2 (most likely what your hearing) then it's exactly what Chad is describing. I get the exact same thing on my scanners and just ignore it (you will eventually). Sound #3 occurs when parked on a voice freq with the scanner in conventional/non trunked mode.

Anyway here is a test file for ARC246 that you can try. I doubt this will make any difference but it's worth a shot. To use the .mem files download ARC246 from www.butel.nl, install and run the program. When it launches select Open System File to pick each mem file and upload to scanner. Also don't forget to set your COM port (the program has a menu item that can auto-detect it).
convE36

Post by convE36 »

So everything seems to have been fine, that "burp" is what you explain. Just wierd that the Radio-Shack Pro-164 (and many more) do not pick that up...

Love this scanner SO MUCH MORE than my Pro-164 (Pro-97). Love the fact that I do not have to listen to the "patch" talk-group ID's. Found that FREEscan is AMAZING when it comes to programming it.

I have tried a few different control programs and found Advanced Virtual Control software from ScannerBase.com to be the best! Love how I can record all the transmissions to WAV audio files.

I have been trying to figure out how I can post my scanner on the web so I can listen to it from other places and also let others hear it also.

Any hints/tips would be great.

WinAmp? TeamSpeak?

Something either free or cheap...also my internet connection is not a "static IP". Regular DSL connection with a Netgear router. (Will have Verizon FiOS veryyyy soon).

THANKS!!!!
convE36

Post by convE36 »

Is there anything I can do about the annoying beeps on the FIRE freqs? Also, anyone know what those sounds are used for? (You know, the sounds sometimes after the dispatchers transmissions...)
ddoug4uonly

Post by ddoug4uonly »

convE36 wrote:I keep having problems with my new BC246T. I loaded the file from the resources page into my scanner. But I it keeps picking up the control channel "sound" here and there...not all the time, but just randomly. My other scanner did not do that at all. It only does it on the Southwest system...

Any ideas?????

THANKS!!!

I had this problem with my PRO-2055. Then I realized that it was caused by a programming error. Instead of programming the first LCN on channel 1 I had it programed on channel 0. When I moved everything up one channel 1-8 (instead of 0-7) then the noise burp stopped.

-- Doug
convE36

Post by convE36 »

ddoug4uonly wrote:
convE36 wrote:I keep having problems with my new BC246T. I loaded the file from the resources page into my scanner. But I it keeps picking up the control channel "sound" here and there...not all the time, but just randomly. My other scanner did not do that at all. It only does it on the Southwest system...

Any ideas?????

THANKS!!!

I had this problem with my PRO-2055. Then I realized that it was caused by a programming error. Instead of programming the first LCN on channel 1 I had it programed on channel 0. When I moved everything up one channel 1-8 (instead of 0-7) then the noise burp stopped.

-- Doug

I program my Uniden using FREEscan. If you dont already know, you enter the freqs and then have to actually tag that freq with an LCN. So I know that it's not that exact issue.

I think is was Brandon who was telling me that his Uniden does the same thing. I just find it wierd that my Radio Shack scanner did not EVER pick up ANY of that "burping".

What I am GUESSING (Brandon help me out here), is that maybe the cause of that sound has something to do with how the Uniden Scanners automatically find the "Patch" channel. I have found that I only hear that "burping" on the main dispatch channels and only when they are patched together.

Anyone else have any experience with this? (Again, this is in reference to Riverside Countys EDACS system)