Medics

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
cvrules90

Medics

Post by cvrules90 »

Is there a chance of expanding the usage of Medic Cars (like at Station 33, 55, 67, 71, 50, 69, etc...) to the rest of the county?
markb

Re: Medics

Post by markb »

Slim chance. It's a long story but here is the basic explanation:

"H&S Section 1797.201 allows existing cities and fire districts that provided care prior to June 1, 1980 to continue services and retain administration of prehospital services."
-From the CalEMSA website.
Most Riverside County fire agencies did not fall under this rule, meaning that In nutshell, the EMS agency has the power to decide who provides ALS care.
I can't speak for Riverside County FD/CalFire,because I don't work for them, but I believe either AMR did not want to provide ALS service in the area that these squads/Medic Ambulances serve, or they have 201 rights. I can't recall.
The County and cities within the county sub-contract from AMR to provide ALS personnel on engines, which in turn allows AMR to increase their response times.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

markb wrote:Slim chance. It's a long story but here is the basic explanation:

"H&S Section 1797.201 allows existing cities and fire districts that provided care prior to June 1, 1980 to continue services and retain administration of prehospital services."
Most Riverside County fire agencies did not fall under this rule, meaning that In nutshell, the EMS agency has the power to decide who provides ALS care.
I can't speak for Riverside County FD/CalFire,because I don't work for them, but I believe either AMR did not want to provide ALS service in the area that these squads/Medic Ambulances serve, or they have 201 rights. I can't recall.
The County and cities within the county sub-contract from AMR to provide ALS personnel on engines, which in turn allows AMR to increase their response times.
So the medic engines would arrive sooner and kick off the assessment of the patient so the AMR car en route can be cancelled if the situation warrants so.
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

markb wrote:Slim chance. It's a long story but here is the basic explanation:

The Cove communities and Indio have 201 rights as they have been providing ambulance transport prior to 1980.
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

cvrules90 wrote: So the medic engines would arrive sooner and kick off the assessment of the patient so the AMR car en route can be cancelled if the situation warrants so.
The goal is to provide assessment and treatment to a patient as soon as possible whether AMR is or isn't there. It is not to cancel AMR unless the patient refuses transport which sometimes happens.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote: The goal is to provide assessment and treatment to a patient as soon as possible whether AMR is or isn't there. It is not to cancel AMR unless the patient refuses transport which sometimes happens.
Or unless it is determined that the patient's condition does not require transport to the hospital.
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

Just to add...

AMR has the county contract for another three years. If county fire wanted to start transport countywide, they would have to bid against AMR and any other provider when the contract is up for renewal. The Board of Supervisors would then pick a provider. County fire would not automatically start providing transport services.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote:Just to add...

AMR has the county contract for another three years. If county fire wanted to start transport countywide, they would have to bid against AMR and any other provider when the contract is up for renewal. The Board of Supervisors would then pick a provider. County fire would not automatically start providing transport services.
So it's an eBay kind of thing.