RSO VHF

Post frequencies and talkgroups for Riverside County. In this area you will find some of the most up-to-date frequency/talkgroup notes and information about newly discovered systems.
zz0468

Re: RSO VHF

Post by zz0468 »

cvrules90 wrote:Thanks for the explanation, but I thought RSO uses talkgroups on the EDACS radio to communicate with other police forces, but this makes more sense as their radios are not neccesssarily compatible because every other police force uses VHF or UHF frequency pairs.
The EDACS talkgroups would be patched to the VHF and UHF systems, since they are connected to the C3 Maestro console system. Dispatchers would also be able to bring up VHF and UHF channels on their consoles.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

PTR-Jason wrote:The talk groups are there. but I do not think they are used at all, but they are there.
The EDACS talkgroups for VHF and CLEMARS etc. may even be "hard patched" where the patch is turned on at a maintenance terminal, and even the dispatchers have no control over it.
PTR-Jason wrote:BUT with the new system, if it ever comes on board, I do not know how easy patching would be.
It will be easy.
PTR-Jason wrote: In RSO dispatch they are able to dispatch Riverside PD if needed, with the flip of a switch, they will take all the 911 calls. RSO West will also take all the calls for RSO Desert if needed and vise versa in the event a comm center goes down.
RSO can only take the 911 calls. Since they don't have access to RPD's radio system, they would have to pass calls by telephone to RPD dispatchers. This backup system is intended to protect against 911 problems, not loss of RPD's dispatch center.
PTR-Jason wrote:But back to topic, yes talk groups are there, but unless of something like a city being blown off the map literally, they will never be used. It is all down with patches now, when the officer does not even have to do anything at all, just key up and talk and they can talk to someone on 800 EDACS when they are on VHF. It is all done between the two dispatch centers.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying there. The EDACS system is capable of allowing an RSO deputy on 800 to talk to an agency on VHF or UHF via the console patches. If the patches are nailed up all they time, then a deputy could talk on VHF without dispatcher intervention.

In addition to that capability, all agencies in Riverside County have an EDACS radio at their dispatch centers, so the patching could take place at that agency, and under their control.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

PTR-Jason wrote:They do not even have to use talk groups. The do testing once in awhile where they have a random unit standby and patch another city with them.

I have heard Hemet PD be patched with a RSO Perris unit, and also Riverside PD be patched with RSO. RSO MoVal had also been patched with RCC PD.

The talk groups are there. but I do not think they are used at all, but they are there. Also just like a major incident, I doubt they will even be used. There will really be no need at all. A Command Post from one agency or another will be bright in, everyone will use their radios on their channels and then talk to the CP, tom there it will be relayed. A Rep needs fire, the info is then passed to the person sitting next to another person, which will be fire, and they will send someone there.

Granted the talk groups have been around long before command posts were a common sight, now everyone and their brother has one, some two or three.

I would also think that CalFire Prevention Officers, which are sworn peace officers, would be at a major incident, and they have an EDACS radio, so they can talk to RSO direct and request stuff if needed. They already use the radios daily and run plates and do traffic stops.

BUT with the new system, if it ever comes on board, I do not know how easy patching would be.

I am pretty sure RSO no longer owns any VHF and UHF radios for field use. Yes in command post they are there, but they are for whatever agency needs them to communicate with their department, not for RSO to use really. In RSO dispatch they are able to dispatch Riverside PD if needed, with the flip of a switch, they will take all the 911 calls. RSO West will also take all the calls for RSO Desert if needed and vise versa in the event a comm center goes down.

But back to topic, yes talk groups are there, but unless of something like a city being blown off the map literally, they will never be used. It is all down with patches now, when the officer does not even have to do anything at all, just key up and talk and they can talk to someone on 800 EDACS when they are on VHF. It is all done between the two dispatch centers.

Just like SBSO has patched talkgroups 24/7. Like their 40-King channels. No matter where at in the county, they use what ever 40-king channel for the area they are in, if they are needed, their dispatch, or what ever department needs them, calls them on the channel for their area, and it 40-King can hear them and respond to that area.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Great little radio history lesson. So I guess there's so much VHF patching going on. No wonder the system exploodes when it wants to.
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

I woke up about 3AM one morning and before falling back asleep I heard a radio test that patched SD Co. RCS to a Riverside system. This allowed a Carlsbad PD unit talk to a Riverside unit in Menifee.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

w6kru wrote:I woke up about 3AM one morning and before falling back asleep I heard a radio test that patched SD Co. RCS to a Riverside system. This allowed a Carlsbad PD unit talk to a Riverside unit in Menifee.
Interesting