A few questions regarding radios...

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
convE36

A few questions regarding radios...

Post by convE36 »

I have a couple questions regarding different radios. Any answers would be great. Thanks!

1. Why do I only see 2-way hand-held radios up to 5-watts?

2. In SoCal terrain (not "optimal conditions") How far will 5-watts take you? (Regarding Professional radios such as HT750 and other similar)

3. Does the frequency effect how far a signal can travel or is it strictly how much power the radio has? (I.E. low band, vhf, 800Mhz, etc)

4. I will make this question simple - What would I have to do/buy in order to use "walkie-talkies" for just personal use and get some actual distance out of them. I have those "28-mile" Motorola ones from Best Buy, but they are useless. They dont seem to go farther than 2-miles. I eventually want to have 3-5 hand-helds and use them with friends in the general area. No more than 10-15 miles (And I mean that as in real miles, not that "optimal conditions" estimate). And I know I wont find any "consumer" radios that will do this. Whats my options? (If any)

5. Is it just impossible to use 2-way radios (and get 10-15 miles distance) without a repeater up on some mountain?

6. Does Elsinore Peak have a repeater that you can use? (For personal use, only 3-5 hand-helds, and not free of course)
ddoug4uonly

Re: A few questions regarding radios...

Post by ddoug4uonly »

convE36 wrote:I have a couple questions regarding different radios. Any answers would be great. Thanks!

1. Why do I only see 2-way hand-held radios up to 5-watts?

2. In SoCal terrain (not "optimal conditions") How far will 5-watts take you? (Regarding Professional radios such as HT750 and other similar)

3. Does the frequency effect how far a signal can travel or is it strictly how much power the radio has? (I.E. low band, vhf, 800Mhz, etc)

4. I will make this question simple - What would I have to do/buy in order to use "walkie-talkies" for just personal use and get some actual distance out of them. I have those "28-mile" Motorola ones from Best Buy, but they are useless. They dont seem to go farther than 2-miles. I eventually want to have 3-5 hand-helds and use them with friends in the general area. No more than 10-15 miles (And I mean that as in real miles, not that "optimal conditions" estimate). And I know I wont find any "consumer" radios that will do this. Whats my options? (If any)

5. Is it just impossible to use 2-way radios (and get 10-15 miles distance) without a repeater up on some mountain?

6. Does Elsinore Peak have a repeater that you can use? (For personal use, only 3-5 hand-helds, and not free of course)

4. Those radios might go as far as 25 miles, but it would only be on flat terrain.

3. Different bands travel in different directions which is why you can hear some bands further than others. Someone else can probably discribe this better than I.

6. You can signup with a company that rents thier repeaters to others. This will allow you to most like use a radio system thru the Riverside County are and maybe in Orange County also.

5. I use to get 10 -15 miles using CB radio. Not handhelds though, a base and mobile setup. If you get a ham license, this will allow you to accomplish the 10 -15 mile radius.

Re: A few questions regarding radios...

Post by 318 »

1) Most UHF hand-helds are 4 watts, and VHF are 5 watts. 800MHz radios are 3 watts; I have seen 6 watt low-band hand-held radios.

2) 5 watts on a hand-held VHF radio will get you about 10 miles depending on conditions. If your line of sight on a hill or on very flat terrain, maybe more. There are allot of variables.

3) The radio band (frequency) does affect the range. Generally speaking, the lower the band, the farther the range with the same amount of power. A VHF signal will travel farther then an 800MHz signal, however higher frequency signals (such as 800MHz) will penetrate buildings and such better then lower frequency signals will. This is one reason most pagers and cellphones are in the 800 and 900MHz bands.

4) The most effective way to extend the range of portable radios would be to use a repeater. If your just interested in general chit-chat with friends, Like Doug suggested, I would look into obtaining a ham license. There are several ham repeaters all over the place that people may encourage you to use. You would probably find one you really like with the coverage your looking for. Thats what ham is all about... experimenting with radio and personal chit-chat with friends. There are other radio services around if you wish to do more then just chit-chatting.

5) The short answer is 'yes', however there is no repeater anywhere that you can use without being licensed for whatever radio service that the repeater operates on. If you obtain a ham license, you'll find that most repeaters are 'open' and available for use by anyone who is a ham. If you look into GMRS, you'll find that most repeaters are 'closed' and cannot be used without permission of the repeater owner. Both services provide about the same amount of coverage.

~Chad (318)