Radio communications towers

This is the place to discuss Riverside County scanning related topics. Whether it be something about a particular agency, radios, antennas, or other general scanner related questions, you can talk about it here.
John L

Radio communications towers

Post by John L »

http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/s ... 6a443.html

Did anyone see this story in the Press Enterprise a couple of days ago? Would these new towers throughout the County help us hear a little better? The article says that it would certainly help Public Safety.
convE36

Re: Radio communications towers

Post by convE36 »

Here is a link to the proposed locations for the towers.

http://psec.co.riverside.ca.us/docs/1-1 ... on_Map.pdf

That would be an amazing network, but are we talking encrypted stuff? Or digital? (My question is, will it be possible to still monitor them)
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

It'll be mostly (if not all digital), some possibly encrypted, and some in formats not currently supported by scanners. How things will shake out in the long run for scanner listeners, I couldn't begin to guess at this point. There will be some analog modes that the equipment is capable of, but it's not intended that it will be operated in that mode much of the time. That's all I can say...
convE36

Post by convE36 »

zz0468 wrote:It'll be mostly (if not all digital), some possibly encrypted, and some in formats not currently supported by scanners. How things will shake out in the long run for scanner listeners, I couldn't begin to guess at this point. There will be some analog modes that the equipment is capable of, but it's not intended that it will be operated in that mode much of the time. That's all I can say...
Well hopefully by the time they actually HAVE this new system in place and operable, someone will come out with a new scanner to monitor them. As long as they are not encrypted...