LASD and LAPD Records

Forum to discuss radio scanning outside of Riverside County. This is the ideal place to post topics related to Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, San Diego, Imperial County and Western Arizona.
cvrules90

Re: LASD and LAPD Records

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:Big Ed, how the heck are ya? Yeah, I have very limited success in picking up any LASD stuff out here in the boondocks. Only time I ever heard anything intelligible was when I hiked to the top of Mt. Rubidoux with a HH and searched. I live right behind it, so anything west of downtown Sewercide is blocked by the mountain.

I know with RSO, they can run all sorts of stuff on the MDC, but if you want a warrant abstracted to arrest someone, it has to go through dispatch..at least it used to. Been outta the game for a while now, thank God =)
LASD has such a system that communication sounds best when you are in the area where the deputies patrol. For example, if you're in Carson, your best bet is to program the Compton/Carson Dispatch and LTAC frequencies. If you're on the border of two stations, you may be able to hear more.
Paulndooc

Post by Paulndooc »

LASD uses a simulcast system utilizing multiple trasnmitter sites designed for mainly for local coverage on dispatch channels. Higher altitude sites are utilized on some channels to provide wider coverage in mountainous areas ie: San Dimas, Malibu, Angeles Forest, Catalina.

Each dispatch channel has a minimum of two simulcast sites, transmitting at about 40 watts despite being licensed to use 110w.

Lower tranmit power output is done for a number of reason includes: allowing proper simulcast site phasing to prevent distortion (using more power can cause audio to sound warbled), it's easier on the actual transmitter and prolongs it's lifespan, it keeps the depaertment in compliace with FCC regs that limit coverage/distance authorized on a UHF TV band frequency, and prevent interference in Mexican airwaves.

An earlier post mentions listening to Industry station. Three transmit sites are used to cover the station patrol area. These sites are Rio Hondo, Johnstone (above San Dimas), and finally San Pedro Hill which provides coverage to La Habra Hts on the far side of the Puente Hills. Two additional fill=in receive-only sites are located at the former Nike Base above Rowland Hts and near Kellogg Hill in Pomona adding additional coverage for Dispatch 8.
Last edited by Paulndooc on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Paulndooc wrote:LASD uses a simulcast system utilizing multiple trasnmitter sites designed for mainly for local coverage on dispatch channels. Higher altitude sites are utilized on some channels to provide wider coverage in mountainous areas ie: San Dimas, Malibu, Angeles Forest, Catalina.

Each dispatch channel has a minimum of two simulcast sites, transmitting at about 40 watts despite being licensed to use 110w.

Lower tranmit power output is done for a number of reason includes: allowing proper simulcast site phasing to prevent distortion (using more power can cause audio to sound warbled), it's easier on the actual transmitter and prolongs it's lifespan, it keeps the depaertment in compliace with FCC regs that limit coverage/distance authorized on a UHF TV band frequency, and prevent interference in Mexican airwaves.

An earlier post mentioned listing to Industry station. Three transmit sites are used here, Rio Hondo, Johnstone, and San Pedro Hill which provides coverage to La Habra Hts. To fill-in coverage a site at old Nike Base above Rowland Hts and a site near Kellogg Hills add receive coverage.
Thanks for the explanation.