Anybody Got Nest Protect?

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can pretty much talk about anything here, just keep it civil. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
cvrules90

Anybody Got Nest Protect?

Post by cvrules90 »

We're buying a house next year and want to get those smoke/CO alarms. Wonder if anybody has them and how it's working for them. In other words, would it be a good buy?
sp1989

Re: Anybody Got Nest Protect?

Post by sp1989 »

I lived most of my life without stupid shit like smoke detectors. The only time they ever go off is when you are cooking or when the battery is dying. Never had one prevent a fire. Same with the CO detectors. The only one who benefits is the companies that bribed lawmakers to mandate they be used in houses. I say skip it, unless you like to smoke in bed to fall asleep or smoke crack cocaine with a torch on a regular basis.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I lived most of my life without stupid shit like smoke detectors. The only time they ever go off is when you are cooking or when the battery is dying. Never had one prevent a fire. Same with the CO detectors. The only one who benefits is the companies that bribed lawmakers to mandate they be used in houses. I say skip it, unless you like to smoke in bed to fall asleep or smoke crack cocaine with a torch on a regular basis.
The thing with the Protect is that it's not just ANY smoke detector. It links to your phone and sends you notifications. It also has a heads up when smoke or CO levels are on the rise (like when folks open the oven door to check on the file minon). It also has a nightly promise so you know whether it's working which beats that 4 AM chirp.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

I used to work for an alarm company and their top of the line alarm did all that, plus you could access it and make changes from anywhere in the world over the phone. Nice gimmick, but in real life, unnecessary. The sales guys used to push it hard, but I never once saw it activate from a fire. It was a toy for rich people who are fascinated by shiny things.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

sp1989 wrote:I used to work for an alarm company and their top of the line alarm did all that, plus you could access it and make changes from anywhere in the world over the phone. Nice gimmick, but in real life, unnecessary. The sales guys used to push it hard, but I never once saw it activate from a fire. It was a toy for rich people who are fascinated by shiny things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcodecOOttA