Alerts

Topics about scanning the Riverside County Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other RVC fire scanning topics.
cvrules90

Alerts

Post by cvrules90 »

I remember reading that CDF RRU would get a new mechanism for alerting stations with the PSEC. How far along has that come?
Kingscup

Re: Alerts

Post by Kingscup »

The new station alerting system went into service late spring/early summer (I think). I believe the signal is sent through the county frame relay intranet thingy. It is way over my head on this. I don't believe it is sent over the air except for the MDC obviously. Policy still states that stations are still to be toned out for every call so nothing has changed for the scanner listener. Once the digital signal sets off the station alerting system, there is a 30 second window where if the station is toned out, it will not set off the system again. After 30 seconds, it will. I don't know the exact circumstances but I have been dispatched to a call without any tone out or voice dispatch. I am guessing it was really busy in the command center. This is not the norm though.

Several months ago, policy changed to where voice acknowledgement was no longer necessary on dispatches as long as you pushed the acknowledgement button at the station or on the MDC. You will sometimes hear people acknowledge by voice due to various reasons.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote:The new station alerting system went into service late spring/early summer (I think). I believe the signal is sent through the county frame relay intranet thingy. It is way over my head on this. I don't believe it is sent over the air except for the MDC obviously. Policy still states that stations are still to be toned out for every call so nothing has changed for the scanner listener. Once the digital signal sets off the station alerting system, there is a 30 second window where if the station is toned out, it will not set off the system again. After 30 seconds, it will. I don't know the exact circumstances but I have been dispatched to a call without any tone out or voice dispatch. I am guessing it was really busy in the command center. This is not the norm though.

Several months ago, policy changed to where voice acknowledgement was no longer necessary on dispatches as long as you pushed the acknowledgement button at the station or on the MDC. You will sometimes hear people acknowledge by voice due to various reasons.
Any idea when the 2-tone system will go away?
Kingscup

Post by Kingscup »

I don't know. They may never go away.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

Kingscup wrote:I don't know. They may never go away.
I also remember hearing that they might be getting automated dispatch so we''ll see.
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

Back when PSEC was in it's embryonic conceptual stage, and Fire was deciding at what level to participate, the discussion was about having several layers of redundancy for call alerting. There are some regulatory requirements for redundancy. Using the tone outs along, with internet and PSEC provided data, created a level of triple redundancy that actually makes economic and technical sense. I don't expect the VHF tone outs to go away anytime in the foreseeable future.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:
Back when PSEC was in it's embryonic conceptual stage, and Fire was deciding at what level to participate, the discussion was about having several layers of redundancy for call alerting. There are some regulatory requirements for redundancy. Using the tone outs along, with internet and PSEC provided data, created a level of triple redundancy that actually makes economic and technical sense. I don't expect the VHF tone outs to go away anytime in the foreseeable future.
Well Riverside City Fire did away with them at the beginning of 2012 I believe, so I'm surprised that CDF RRU decided to keep the tones. Maybe Riverside City will consider bringing them back too...
zz0468

Post by zz0468 »

I wouldn't expect the City of Riverside to ever do anything just because the county did it. Quite the opposite, actually.
cvrules90

Post by cvrules90 »

zz0468 wrote:I wouldn't expect the City of Riverside to ever do anything just because the county did it. Quite the opposite, actually.
WEll for some reason the city and county are independent worlds. I mean San Diego City has it's own trunked radio system while the county is on a seperate one. Maybe Cali needs to opt for independent cities...
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

zz0468 wrote:I wouldn't expect the City of Riverside to ever do anything just because the county did it. Quite the opposite, actually.
You are 100% correct, and that is one reason I doubt that the City of Riverside, especially RPD, will ever join PSEC.