Milair band sweep in 1.5 seconds

This forum is for discussions about scanning military radio communications on HF, VHF/UHF and beyond. You will also find logs and other real-time flight tracking information.
brandon

Milair band sweep in 1.5 seconds

Post by brandon »

Found this interesting video posted by mancow of RadioReference forums. Using an AirSpy paired with SDR# and the Frequency Scanner plugin you can set up a bandscan of the entire UHF milair range (225-400 MHz) in 1.5 seconds and less.

Video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkf6kv8yWdg
Read more about it here: http://forums.radioreference.com/milita ... d-yet.html

Tried it here on my setup and it worked pretty good. Also ran some lightning fast sweeps of the civil air and federal bands. Just imagine running this with an auto logger and recording each transmission. SDR never ceases to amaze me. :mrgreen:
sp1989

Re: Milair band sweep in 1.5 seconds

Post by sp1989 »

Would this work with other dongles besides an Airspy? Seems more like a SDR# function from what I can see. Brandon, what is the setup you used to try this? Thanks in advance. I really don't want to buy any more SDR stuff right now.
brandon

Post by brandon »

Yep it should work fine on other SDR setups. The speed depending on how much bandwidth you can view at a time.

I am using an AirSpy as well. I also have a HackRF but I prefer the AirSpy performance. Seems to handle strong signal environments better.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

Thanks, Brandon.
sp1989

Post by sp1989 »

BTW, what antenna and are you using a preamp of any sort? I have a discone and a JIM M-75 preamp for mil air monitoring, split 4 ways with a Stridsberg multicoupler.